For the record...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Wannabe Enthusiast
Default For the record...

Well, we finally made good on our threat to get the TCH. We picked it up last Friday. For the record, here are the details...

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • Magnetic Grey Metallic exterior, bisque leather interior
  • Moonroof, heated mirrors (didn't really want 'em, but getting the car was more important), PermaVIN (yada yada), no NAV (didn't want it)
  • Extra Mile Package F: spoiler, racing stripe, security system, trunk organizer (better than expected), first aid kit (whoopee), etc.
We paid MSRP + TTL, but they threw in a $200 tint job. Final price OTD was $33,097. From what I read here, that's high -- especially for a unit without the NAV. But hey, it wasn't easy getting one if the first place...and I was expecting to get screwed anyway.

After trying a bunch of dealerships, we were pleasantly surprised to stumble across a very low-pressure, IT-savvy, straight-talk sorta salesman. Turns out that he used to be in our line of IT work, so we actually spent more time talking about work and technology than about the car. That was unexpected.

So if you're in the Houston area and looking for a Toyota, try Felix Garza at Don McGill down on I-10 just west of the beltway.

Moving right along, we're pleased with the car thus far. It's pretty, especially with the tint, the seats are comfy, the car seat fits well, it smells nice, and the gadgets are good fun. It seems considerably smaller than our Avalon, and trunk space is particularly limited...but no complaints yet.

The sound system treats my twisted spectrum of musical tastes quite nicely. My wife thought it a bit strange to put Bach, Eminem, 50 Cent, Blink 182, Tracy Chapman, David Bromberg and Hank Williams all on the same CD with the baby's Bananas & Pajamas, but she'll deal. I remain amused.

I haven't figured out how to drive it yet -- still languishing in the low 30s for MPG on this first tank, but we've only put 130 miles on it so far. I've read most of the tips here...will try to get that into the high 30s or 40s by next week. I haven't quite figured out the ECO readout yet, any tips on that?

So far, no squeaks from the center console. How soon did that start for most of you?

In other news, I pulled up next to a Hummer last night and discovered that I felt smug, sophisticated, scrupulous and all-around superior. That could definitely get out of hand. I see that I'll have to keep a tight rein on my hybrid-induced arrogance.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: For the record...

Dear FishNoGeek,

Congratulations!! I think you'll find this community to be very helpful and supportive. I did when I first joined.

As to your FE, I would relax and give it a little time. Generally, the experience of other owners posting here has been that their FE improves as they add miles in the first year or so. I guess in part this is due to break-in of the internal combustion engine (ICE) and in part to the driver following advice from others here as well as the copious information the car provides to learn how to squeeze more miles out of each gallon.

I know Houston is table-flat (lived there for 5 years), so this should help with your FE. Of course, it is also stinking hot, so you're likely to run your AC more than many of us. I would guess by the second or third tank you will be pleased with your mileage.

Once again, congrats on your purchase, and enjoy it!

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: For the record...

FishNoGeek,

Congrats and welcome.

I concur with wcmack about the fuel economy although mine started off very good...guess my conservative driving style (induced by years of driving a Suburban) paid off.

As for your question about the center console squeak, mine started at about 400 miles. There are a number of recommended fixes for this in these threads that you can try.