Radio Daze?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Radio Daze?

Today, while playing an MP3 CD, I pushed the "Text" button on the non-nav radio. And the display goes to a row of black triangles and out pops the CD. Then the NEXT CD pops out. And the radio goes off. I turn it back on, and another CD, and it turns off. It does this again to the last CD.

Turning it on again, it went to FM radio, but it still was not responding to commands and turned itself off. I had to turn the car off and back on, and even then it didn't want to return to normal function. After another minute or two, it FINALLY let me use the controls normally and re-load the CDs.

Has anybody ever seen this? (I'm going to add that over the last year, my climate control, in manual mode, has on many occasions changed mode on its own, like it's in automatic mode.)

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio Daze?

Yes had this happen to my Radio (non Nav) - But it would only happen sometimes. If you power cycle the car the problem may or may not show up.

It happened one day when I was close to a Toyota dealership and I drove straight there - did not turn the car off and went inside and got a tech to look at it. He immediately ordered a radio under warranty and replaced it a week later. That was over 18 months ago and I never had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had 2 months left on my 2007 TCH warranty for the radio. The light frame at night around the radio would usually stay off then all of a sudden come on and was brighter than it should be.

I let it go till the radio would not turn on for two days. Then all of a sudden it worked ok. I was in getting the TSB done on the accelerator and I ask the repair technician about my radio problem. He ordered me a replacement radio and now the light frame and radio works just fine. The original and replacement radio both have the 5 CD changer.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-24-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

My radio did precisely the same thing as you describe. In addition, my volume control would not work on the radio...it did respond to the steering wheel controls. This would only occur during hot weather with the car parked outside all day.

The dealer didn't even examine the radio and simply ordered a new one based on my description of the problem. Luckily my TCH was still under warranty. He did say that this has been an issue on several Toyota models and that the new radios have been updated to fix the problem. I hope he's right.

--Robert

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, it hasn't happened again since my previous report, so I'm going to take no action until after a repeat performance.