Radio/bluetooth weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Radio/bluetooth weirdness

Hi all,

I've been having intermittent problems with my 2007 TCH and the audio system, wondering if I'm alone. I have the NAV system on my car (if that helps)

Both have happened only 1 time over the past couple months:
  • Talking on the phone, all of a sudden, the call drops from the handsfree with a "Bluetooth Device disconnected" message on the screen. I grab my handset, and notice the call is still connected, finish conversation... After the call, the car would not recognize the phone again until I shut off the car and restart it. ("connect" and "auto connect" didn't work)
  • Listening to AM radio, received a call, talked, and disconnected at the end. Radio didn't return to a listenable state after the call. Turned up the volume to 50, nothing from the speakers. Noticed "Aux" worked, and CD. FM2 worked for about 5 seconds, made a weird sound, then muted. AM/FM1 didn't work at all. Stopped car and restarted, and all was well again...
Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio/bluetooth weirdness

Originally Posted by mikec442
  • Listening to AM radio, received a call, talked, and disconnected at the end. Radio didn't return to a listenable state after the call. Turned up the volume to 50, nothing from the speakers. Noticed "Aux" worked, and CD. FM2 worked for about 5 seconds, made a weird sound, then muted. AM/FM1 didn't work at all. Stopped car and restarted, and all was well again...
I've noticed that there are times that AM (all stations) would be silent. Toggling through FM1/FM2/AUX and back to AM returns it to an audible state.
Not sure if it's only AM that goes silent, since I listen to AM most of the time and don't recall getting calls while listening to FM.
Unlike your situation, the FM stations played properly...although I don't remember if it was on for 5 seconds or not, I was quickly toggling to get back to AM.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:48 AM

...update
I turned the car on this morning, it was set to FM1.
I didn't use the phone, although it was in BT range and recognized so the BT icon was on the screen.
I listened to FM for five seconds, toggled to FM2/AUX and when I got to AM it was silent.
I toggled through again and it was playing normal.
So, the problem isn't necessarily related to using the BT phone, since I hadn't.
Not a huge problem, since cycling through clears the problem.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sounds like possibly a software error, especially since it comes back on after you turn the power off and then on again. It might also be an intermittnet thing with the cars audio system. It will probaly take some effort to determine wihch is the case. try and eliminate as many things as possible by troubleshooting. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Well, I eliminated the phone being used as a culprit, since mine wasn't.
This error, unfortunately, can't be forced or recreated, it just has to be noticed.
For the record, I have a non-NAV 2008. I booted the car into FM1 and the car discovered the BT device. Not sure what other variables are worth mentioning.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 AM

Happened again, incoming call while on FM1.
I tried to recreate by dialing a call from FM1, to no avail. Maybe it happens on incoming calls while on FM1?
Only AM is silent when this occurs.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

I just started having Bluetooth dropouts just like described by mikec442 on my 2007 TCH after flawless operation for 20K miles. Friday I lost an incoming call and today I lost an outgoing call. It's the same phone I've had for the life of the car and the disconnects have only occurred in the middle of conversations. BT reconnected after turning car off then back on again. Did you ever fix the problem? Is anyone else seeing this?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 AM

Bluetooth issues can be a problem with the handset. I have a Palm Treo and until an update, the handset would frequently lose bluetooth connectivity. I've also noticed that the pairing, while now >99% reliable, will occasssionally drop a connection. Rebooting (oops...restarting) the car typically will repair the issue. Not a great fix (but it is a workaround), but to me, it's not a problem worth aggravating over, either.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Rebooting the car seems to be the only answer. If it makes you feel better, mine's only done it one time since I posted.

I don't think its a fault of the phone (looks like everyone who's experiences it has a different phone - I have a LG VX8300 FYI), but a software glitch.