Question to GeorgiaHybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Question to GeorgiaHybrid

Looked at your struts replacement write up, thank you.

I'll have no problems doing them, I have done plenty. My question is - how well did they hold over time? I have bad experience with struts and shocks replacements - they last about 2 mths, and then it's all back to the way it was before.
Don't blaim me of going cheap, I have done Monroes, Ariels, KYBs, Billsteins, KYB Air, OEM from dealer, and now did Ranchos on my Silverado. Same. 2-3 mths - back to bumpy ride. What I shall be doing from now on is to do end links and sway bar bushings same time, that seems to hold a bit longer.
So, curious about your experience.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Question to GeorgiaHybrid

No problem so far although I did go back and replace the strut bearing at the top of the strut. They were not available when I replaced the struts but started squeaking 6 or 7 months ago so I went ahead and replaced them. Over the years, I have had better luck with Monroe shocks more than any other.

What are you doing on the weekends? Going trail riding on the rocks?

By the way, ANY Camry is hard on struts. I have both the front and rears in the shop for my MIL's '07 when I get the chance to get it from here for a day.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM

No, but roads around are chitty and I drive a lot in Seattle, and that's bad. She's still holding, but it starts getting there. I'll do all four, see no reason to do just front, and all bushings same time. I found that replacing end link ones and sway bar ones helps.

Sorry, bro, I always considered Monroe low quality struts. Ariels the worst. Billsteins did OK on my pick up, but Ranchos do better. They are not "soft ride" on my truck, but are very good for real bumpy road because of dual valve action. KYB adjustable was waste, I could never find the right tune, they were either too stiff or too soft.
Our RX300 though has some magic struts. Closing on 140K miles and still drives very well.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Darn, does not look like there's lots of choices actually. All there is is Monroe and KYB, last being slightly more expensive. No monotubes available. Guess I'll just toss a coin when time comes. They are both twin tube design.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands