Potential threats

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Potential threats

Maybe I should have asked these questions first, but I was swept away by the features at the time. The stealer did a good job keeping my mind occupied on all the "buttons" I get to push.

1. Since there is no key to start the TCH, can't anyone just get in and drive away?? Sure, if the windows are broken then the car's anti-theft system kicks in. But what if the car is unlocked?

2. Speaking of breaking the windows, why would someone need to do that? I read that those black buttons on the outside of the TCH are designed to lock and unlock without a key!! Which is kind of stupid, since there is a keyway there. Has anyone figured out how to use those buttons anyways? I bought my hybrid 4 days ago..and can't seem to figure it out

Hope I am not giving any information out to potential car thieves!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Potential threats

You need the key to open the door and start the car. You just don't need to _use_ them. The key has to be in the car to start the engine. The key needs to be near when you push the button to open the trunk (not the button on the fob, the button on the trunk). And you need the key nearby in order for the handle to unlock when you grab it, or for the button to lock the door.

And that's how the button works, btw. The door unlocks automatically if you have the key in your pocket and you just reach out to open the door. When your fingers touch the back of the handle it should unlock while you're opening it. And to lock it you can just push the black button after the doors are all closed. This one I didn't quite grasp myself at first, but now that I know these two things, I hardly ever take the key out of my jacket. Just grab the handle to unlock/open, just push the button to open the trunk, and just push the little black button on the handle to lock it up.

Easy as pie.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you need a key or key fob to make any of the buttons work. It needs to be in your pocket or close proximity to the car for the doors or ignition to work. They will not work for anyone who doesn’t have it.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

And if it gives you any reassurance, try it. Leave your Toyota key fob in the house, and go out and try to unlock and/or start the car. It won't work.

Even better is that since it needs the coded signal from the key fob, the car is virtually impossible to hotwire! If that signal is not there (and correct), the computer refuses to start the car. No amount of shorting wires will change that.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

When I don't lock my Prius and get the smart key out of range, it locks itself after about 30 seconds. I hope my new TCH does the same.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Briano77
When I don't lock my Prius and get the smart key out of range, it locks itself after about 30 seconds. I hope my new TCH does the same.
Mine does not. I have to manually lock it every time.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't believe mine locks itself either. However, it will re-lock itself if I unlock it and no doors are opened - I think this happens after about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I still find myself digging for a "key" when approaching the Camry. Doh!

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't believe it does, however that button on the handle is pretty easy as a lock mechanism. I often find myself bumping it with my knee or wrist or something because my hands are full of too much crap. How handy is it that you can lock the car without any available hands?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
I don't believe mine locks itself either. However, it will re-lock itself if I unlock it and no doors are opened - I think this happens after about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I still find myself digging for a "key" when approaching the Camry. Doh!

Scott
You are right. Thanks for the correction. If you walk away from the car and forget to lock it (after opening a door like you said), it will stay unlocked.
I guess there is a reason.

Last edited by Briano77; 08-15-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Briano77
You are right. Thanks for the correction. If you walk away from the car and forget to lock it (after opening a door like you said), it will stay unlocked.
I guess there is a reason.
One reason would be that if the driver (with the key) walks away from the car, and a passenger (without a key) wants to get back in, they wouldn't be able to. At least making you lock it manually will not let that situation happen unintentionally.