Please Help your Red Headed step child...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Please Help your Red Headed step child...

I've got about 1k miles on my Nissan Altima Hybrid (uses Toyota Synergy Drive), really like the car except for one aspect which kinda bugs me.

I understand the electro/mechanics/controls of the Synergy system and CVT but....

The whole car feels "twitchy" from the over-sensitive throttle to the constantly "hunting" CVT / ICE while cruising without a load change.

If I had a "GAIN" **** it would need a few turns down. I also get a slight pulling/pushing sensation through the drive while cruising.

It isn't terrible but I really don't care for it, is this normal ?

Anyone else experience this???

Before I wrestle w the dealer I wanted some feedback from the group!

TIA...

Old 06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Please Help your Red Headed step child...

Todd,

I'm sorry to hear of your problem with this car. Unfortunately it is so new that reliable information may be scarce.

As a complete hipshot... maybe wait a month and see is a software update is available to re-flash the relevant control modules.

But then the cynical part of me wonders if this isn't like when the USA sells fighter jets overseas. You *know* they are going to be de-tuned slightly.

5 years ago, the thought of Toyota licensing it's golden goose to a competitor would have been considered heresy of the highest order.

Have you had any luck on the Altima forum? Is there a lot of participation there yet?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think Nissan wants to be seen as performance oriented company, going way back to it's Datsun days, so it may be particular tunning of the car, but I would also suggest waiting few days and see if you can get used to it, since CVT feels different than regular transmission. Another way would be to go to the dealer and ask for test drive to see if this is something particular to your car. Some initial reports mentioned that "pulling/pushing" on TCH when cruising but I had experienced it on my car very rarely and on very limited, hard to detect level, really not something that would bother me. Maybe the car needs breaking in and computer has to memorize your style of driving adjust itself to it, but without some test drive it's pure speculation on our side. Did you try to find throttle position at which the car seems to be smoother? I believe it should be electronic drive by wire type and at least in theory it should be easy to adjust.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks all,

NAH forum is pretty small but did get some confirmation of "twitchy-ness" by others.

I drive w the cruise control whenever possible, thats how I noticed the pulling/pushing without the load changing (flat, level, smooth road at 65mph)!

I know the throttle is hyper-sensitive at launch, I'm getting pretty good at a smooth EV launch and bringing in the ICE nice and smooth.

Perhaps my years of being a GearHead have made my senses a little over-sensitive.

Thanks for your input !

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I remember when the TCH forum was created in spring 06 a number of the earliest TCH owners complained of the same thing, but since after the first couple of months I really haven't heard this topic mentioned again. I did notice maybe once or twice something similar early on too. I don't know if it went away or I just don't notice it anymore. The CVT function makes the experience of accelerating and driving on the hiway a different kind of auditory experience.

My favourite is that after rapid accleration to near hiway speed, easing off the gas pedal will actually result in the ICE rpm slowing down while the car is still accelerating gradually. It's different...

Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

As a red head, I object to this thread...

Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

sustained,

"Please help me, I feel like I don't belong here......"