Please help me put a price on TCH VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Please help me put a price on TCH VDIM

Hi all,

I am planning on celebrating the day that my TCH hybrid premium pays for itself in gas savings, which will be in a few years. I have taken into account the costs of VSC, heated seats, and keyless entry, since these are things I would probably have added to a standard camry. I chose not to account for things like the chrome grill or LED taillights. I want to take into account the cost of VDIM, but I am having trouble finding the cost to add this to a standard camry. It is not an available option since there is no electric assisted steering on the standard camry.

For those who are interested in the difference between VDIM and ABS, VSC, etc, here is a good thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...xplained-8184/

Any input on a reasonable cost estimate for VDIM? I am thinking $500 but that is pretty much arbitrary. The MSRP cost I used for VSC was $650, from edmunds.com. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Please help me put a price on TCH VDIM

It's not really possible to put a price on it. You must have the electrically assisted steering otherwise the car would be difficult to control when the ICE (which would have the hydraulic pump) is off. Same can be said for the braking system, and the climate control (a conventional AC/heater system simply wouldn't work). You are talking additional software for the features, but what price tag can you put on that?

In any case, the simplest and probably the most accurate way to determine when you (specifically) break even would be to compare with the non-hybrid Camry you would have bought, regardless of relative equipment levels. If you are forced into some equipment on the TCH you wouldn't otherwise have, that still lengthens the time to break even. Don't forget to account for the difference in resale value, and financing/tax/insurance.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h

t to add this to a standard camry.
Please don't try to compare the TCH to a LE. Featurewise the TCH is essentially a XLE.

You'll go nuts trying to add to a LE, plus you'll never get there. Alloy wheels, dual-zone climate, smart-key, etc. None of these are options for the LE.

Pricewise the TCH is priced right between a 4 cylinder XLE and the 6 cylinder XLE. I don't see any price premium right there. The hybrid drive is right in between power wise.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
HSD Organic Interface

$235

I read somewhere that the VSC costs about $111 on average per vehicle in 2005. So I made a completely factless assumption that VDIM adds the same additional cost, then doubled it for a 100% consumer markup and added 6% for inflation. How's that for a calculated but likely irrelevent wild guess?

I'd be more curious to see how you intend to account for the likely difference in brake life?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
$235

I read somewhere that the VSC costs about $111 on average per vehicle in 2005. So I made a completely factless assumption that VDIM adds the same additional cost, then doubled it for a 100% consumer markup and added 6% for inflation. How's that for a calculated but likely irrelevent wild guess?

I'd be more curious to see how you intend to account for the likely difference in brake life?
Works for me! Thanks.

I am not taking into account the cost of every little thing, as noted in my original post. Some things just aren't worth the time. This is a very unscientific estimate. I am not taking into account the time value of money, increased insurance cost, or brake life differences. There is no finance charge since I paid cash. I have added the tax difference, but not the increased DMV fees, etc.