Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Options for HID-type halogen lights (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/options-hid-type-halogen-lights-10328/)

Rcommander 11-10-2006 11:00 AM

Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

Hey guys and dareathlork

I have the HID kit from autoxen. my question is where to mount the ballast and how?

Rcommander 11-10-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
I just ordered the H11 HID kit from xenondepot.com. I'll post some pics once I get them installed and working

can you post the pics? are they installed yet?

Geckoboy 11-10-2006 01:41 PM

Sorry, not installed yet.

After going through the manual and checking with the guys at xenondepot, they advised to not use the stock headlight connector for the power source. They highly recommend to wire it directly to the battery. They mentioned that there is a 17amp initial draw when the HID's first fire up, and it would be too much for the stock headlight connectors. (looks like there is a 15amp fuse for the stock headlights so you could blow a fuse every time you turn them on).

The only problem is the battery is located in the trunk. I've done some looking around for a possible point to tap into a 12v power source. It looks like there is a wire that goes into junction block (fuse panel in the left hand side (driver side) of the engine) that I could possibly tap into. However, I'm not an electrician and I'm nervous of tapping into a wire there that could blow the ECU and void my warranty.

Soo.. I'm looking into how to wire a couple of 14awg wires through the firewall and into the battery directly, which is taking a lot more time than I thought. I see a spot in the firewall below the brake fluid reservoir that I could possibly run a wire through and under the scuff plates on the passenger side doors and on through the trunk. My challenge here is running that wire through the hole. I've taken out the glove box but the vent/blower system is right in front of the hole and I am nervous on removing the vent/blower system since it looks like the entire dash may need to be removed. I'm gonna give it another try this weekend to see if I can pass a couple of wires through it. If not, there is a local audio shop that I talked to that may assist me in running wires, since they have experience running wires the other way around (battery in engine compartment, amplifier in trunk) - for a charge of course ;-). I want to do this right and not be one of those vehicles that catch on fire on the road.

Rcommander 11-10-2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Sorry, not installed yet.

After going through the manual and...not be one of those vehicles that catch on fire on the road.

Geez Now i am scared, guys ..i mean those of you who have the HIDs...have you guys had any problems?

Paulgw 11-11-2006 04:42 AM

[QUOTE=Rcommander]can you post the pics? are they installed yet?[/QUOTE]

In spite of many warnings against it in this thread some participants seem to be blithly going forward with the installation of HID headlamps. Out of consideration for other drivers I think people should read Wikipedia article on headlamps. Especially the HID section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#External_links

Here are a couple of quotes from the section on HID technology:-

"Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users."

"The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries."

Rcommander 11-11-2006 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Paulgw
In spite of many warnings against it in this thread some participants seem to be blithly going forward with the installation of HID headlamps. Out of consideration for other drivers I think people should read Wikipedia article on headlamps. Especially the HID section.

"Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users."

"The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries."

paul while what you are saying may be true, but the TCH lights suck so bad that i may just get in an accident if i dont have the HIDs

ALSO does anyone here have these installed?

Geckoboy 11-11-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paulgw

I read that during my research into HID lights and noticed that if you follow the link to ECE regulation 48, the USA does not participate in it.

Also, I noticed that in my previous 2003 Acura TL-S, the HID headlights were fixed (not auto leveling), and no lens cleaning system in place.

I agree it would produce glare. I've read in other forums of people plugging up the "squirrel finder" hole in the projector shield to reduce the glare onto oncoming traffic.

Rcommander 11-11-2006 03:33 PM

Hey i got my HIDs installed but one question...one light seems to be shorter (throw) than the other? one beam is long, and other beam is short.

dareathlork 11-11-2006 04:03 PM

That what it is suppose to be. it gives the driver side more focus on the road. no worries about that shorter and longer...because the Light projector is made for that..

How did it look like? post the picture.

Rcommander 11-11-2006 05:15 PM

i will soon post one! its looks awesome! Geckoboy: i dont know what kit you have but for mine..the one from autoxen that dereath recommended...the 15 amp fuse is more than enough. It works like a charm! thanks dereath for all your help!