Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Options for HID-type halogen lights (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/options-hid-type-halogen-lights-10328/)

Freeze 10-28-2006 10:13 AM

Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

HID's should be illegal as headlights. True, from a driver's perspective they are very nice, but from an oncoming perspective, they contract your irises to an extreme and leave you virtually blind after they have passed. This is not so much of a concern for lower cars like the Mini or TCH, but there seems to be a trend (at least im my red-neck-of-the-woods) to put the darn things in raised monster trucks. Often, you'll be faced with four HID's head on: fog lights about 2 feet off the ground and headlights about 4 feet. Ouch.

dareathlork 10-28-2006 11:32 AM

Yeah you are right..i was just not reading the words that you mentioned MINI..my Bad man..So now ou matched up with your fog and headlights?

skywagon 10-28-2006 03:19 PM

After being followed for 10 miles last nite by a new Caddy Escalade with those friggan lights shining in all three mirriors, I too wish they would outlaw them.

dareathlork 10-28-2006 09:01 PM

I agree with you for those who has SUV because it is higher and it really shines to people eyes.

Good one

livvie 10-29-2006 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Freeze
HID's should be illegal as headlights. True, from a driver's perspective they are very nice, but from an oncoming perspective, they contract your irises to an extreme and leave you virtually blind after they have passed. This is not so much of a concern for lower cars like the Mini or TCH, but there seems to be a trend (at least im my red-neck-of-the-woods) to put the darn things in raised monster trucks. Often, you'll be faced with four HID's head on: fog lights about 2 feet off the ground and headlights about 4 feet. Ouch.

I do know that there are people that convert their cars over to true HID lights but don't change the LENS housing. A HID light uses a projection lens, to focus the light in a certain pattern. A non HID LENS housing does not need to focus the light this way. When you replace your system with HID lights but don't change the housing, you get a pattern that blinds oncoming traffic. This is bad, and I agree, should not be allowed.

livvie 10-29-2006 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dareathlork
Yeah you are right..i was just not reading the words that you mentioned MINI..my Bad man..So now ou matched up with your fog and headlights?

Actually I did the driving lights and high beams as well.

So now, my low beams, highbeams, driving lights, and fog lights all match. And no, you can't have all on at the same time, fog lights turn off if I turn on the highbeams.

livvie 10-29-2006 09:18 AM

On last thing, on my Mini, the lights self level. It's pretty neat, so this helps avoid blinding oncoming traffic. This should be a requirement on all HID equiped or updated cars. On my S2000 (prior car), the HIDs did NOT self level, which caused numerous people to give my the highbeams on approaching them. Nevermind the number of people getting out of my way if I were behind them. Those lights were just too powerful, I called them the FU lights.

Rcommander 10-29-2006 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
On last thing, on my Mini, the lights self level. It's pretty neat, so this helps avoid blinding oncoming traffic. This should be a requirement on all HID equiped or updated cars. On my S2000 (prior car), the HIDs did NOT self level, which caused numerous people to give my the highbeams on approaching them. Nevermind the number of people getting out of my way if I were behind them. Those lights were just too powerful, I called them the FU lights.

lol!

i ordered the lights for my TCH , i hope they work! the camry OEM lights SUCK!

dareathlork 10-29-2006 06:35 PM

Good for you and i hope it works too..Let me know.

Geckoboy 10-30-2006 11:05 AM

I just ordered the H11 HID kit from xenondepot.com. I'll post some pics once I get them installed and working