Non Nav TCH - what display do you use the most?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Non Nav TCH - what display do you use the most?

For those of us without the Nav...which of the MANY displays do you find most useful in the multi-information display? And, do you find it as cumbersome as I to have to cycle through them? Sure wish there was a backwards and forwards since there are so many of them. Or perhaps there were 2 separate displays so you could have your two favorite views up at once...

Personally I like the one showing me where the power is coming from...though I find I cycle through to find the outside temperature and the MPG on the tank...I don't worry about the trip MPG since there is a readout at the end of the trip, but you do have to look quickly!

Barb

Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Non Nav TCH - what display do you use the most?

I flip mostly between the tank average and the energy display (to manage the battery SOC when I'm in stop in go traffic, or on EV for a while.)

Once in a while I'll check the outside temp or look at the ECO display, but it stops at about 41mpg. Most times I have it solid white after 5 to 10 minutes.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Usually I have it on the energy display so I can keep an eye on the battery. If I want the outside temp, I'll hold the display button for a few seconds and then it is seven presses back to the energy display.

It would be nice if they extended the top end of the ECO display up to 50 or 60. It's easy to have that display at 41+ on the expressway.
The other nice to have would be adding the missing arrows to show when the engine is charging the battery.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by belbe
And, do you find it as cumbersome as I to have to cycle through them? Sure wish there was a backwards and forwards
There is one shortcut mentioned in the manual. Not a biggie but if you HOLD the Disp button for a few seconds the MFD goes back the the beginning which is the Outside Temperature display. From there the Tank Average is just one or two button pushes away.
Personally I leave it in ECO mode 99.44% of the time. The "Blue" borders around the speedometer and consumption meter aren't as easy to enterpret.
I have the displays I use most memorized so if I want to get to a particular one I just press and hold the Disp button to get back to the beginning and then give it "x" quick presses to get to where I want to be. That way I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change a MFD display.
J

Old 08-23-2006, 05:41 AM

I usually monitor the consumption display. I also look at the tank average and ECO display. When I'm on the expressway the consumption display is not as important as I usually just set the cruise and let it go.

When I come to an overpass I cancel the cruise control and mainly use the instantaneous mpg display to hold my power consumption steady.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

I'm generally on the power/battery display and use it to manage my MPG.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota should have had one additional mode: it simply says "WATCH THE ROAD!" as I have become addicted to the energy usage and the Eco displays and am often intrigued by the display more than the road.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM

I usually leave mine on outside temp, but I do flip over to tank avg to see how I'm doing.

One thing really bothers me about this display. I wish the odometer showed me total mileage and one of the trip mileages simultaneously. I need to record the total mileage numbers for work, but at the same time I keep track of total mileage for purposes of gas consumption. So I am constantly flipping the toggle between Total and TripA. I know there is one screen where I can have the Trip odometer on the top and the total on the bottom, but as soon as I switch the Disp, I lose that screen setup. Grrrrr....

Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
it's just a car...

Tank Average.
(otherwise, I forget what the real goal is!)

Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

I usually leave it on the temp display. I think there are too many MFD display screen options, kind of tedious to cycle through. Given the size of the MFD, I think there could be some sort of "combo display" that fit more information onto the screen at one time, allowing only a few display options. One screen could show the outside temp in the upper right or left corner, the odometer and trip meter display simultaneously on the bottom, and still have room for some other info in the center.... I think the outside temp and the odometer/trip should always be shown.

Quick Reply: Non Nav TCH - what display do you use the most?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands