new TCH milage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default new TCH milage

I'm blowing away by wifes new TCH. On thing does bother me, I believe the car is dyslectic! After two drives from Vegas to San Diego I'm convinced I have a defect. With a tailwind of 15 mph I got 42.5 home to Vegas. Three days later on return trip with 12 mph headwind I got 38.6 both with cruise on at 71 mph nearly the whole way.
While I'm stoked about the hiway milage I can't seem, (no matter how careful i am) get better than 35-36 city? City should be better, right?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: new TCH milage

Originally Posted by bajagirl1
While I'm stoked about the hiway milage I can't seem, (no matter how careful i am) get better than 35-36 city? City should be better, right?
No. The EPA test shows better for city; however, unless you are driving without stoplights, you should be able to get better mileage on the highway.

I track my mileage on a spreadsheet. Highway driving, I get between 42 and 50 mpg depending on conditions (how flat it is, traffic, etc.) While I can get better than 40 mpg on occasion in the city, on the average I get 33 to 36 mpg. The exception is when I just get off the freeway, the car is well warmed up and I don't hit a lot of lights, then I can for a while get 40+ mpg.

For those who drive with few lights and rural areas, I'm sure the picture is different.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: new TCH milage

What you are seeing is normal. I also got 42mpg highway doing around 70 going from San Diego to Phoenix, the return trip was 40mpg. I don't do a lot of city driving, but when I do my tank mileage always takes a hit. Oddly congested freeway driving (I-15 rush hour traffic) often yields my best mileage.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Re: new TCH milage

Originally Posted by nash
I don't do a lot of city driving, but when I do my tank mileage always takes a hit. Oddly [enough,] congested freeway driving (I-15 rush hour traffic) often yields my best mileage
Ditto, exactly the same here... City usage on weekends (with family) "kills" mpg tank averages, but it's waaaaay better than what we'd get with our other car. I usually get low/mid 40's cruising down a [flat] hwy w/o traffic, there's not much I can do about minimizing the ICE during that time. Oddly enough (as nash stated), rush hour on the hwy seems to yield the best results.