Neighbor needed the GPS.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Neighbor needed the GPS.....

I had a funny thing happen yesterday. Our neighbor usually prints directions to places from his computer to take his kids to basketball games. Well, the DSL in our neighborhood was out due to the hub getting damaged. So, no printed directions for him.

As I am going out to run some errands my wife calls me and says "Dwight needs you to stop by so he can look up an address on the Nav system". So I make the U-turn and head to his place where we proceed to enter the address to the school in question and he writes down the directions.

Crazy....

Larry

Old 02-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Neighbor needed the GPS.....

What a nice guy you are

Old 02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Or just a map program to load on his computer...I use Delorme Street atlas USA...works good for me

Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
Or just a map program to load on his computer...I use Delorme Street atlas USA...works good for me
Microsoft Streets and Trips is dirt cheap these days.

Or he could buy a paper one.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
I had a funny thing happen yesterday. Our neighbor usually prints directions to places from his computer to take his kids to basketball games. Well, the DSL in our neighborhood was out due to the hub getting damaged. So, no printed directions for him.

As I am going out to run some errands my wife calls me and says "Dwight needs you to stop by so he can look up an address on the Nav system". So I make the U-turn and head to his place where we proceed to enter the address to the school in question and he writes down the directions.

Crazy....

Larry
Beats him getting lost. I'm one of those people who were born with no innate sense of compass directions, nor an inborn ability to slowly map out a city I live in (even after 26+ years there!) A GPS has been my life-saver for years now... I have them for everything from vehicle navigation to hiking and bicycling. Ironically, on hiking trails I have a modest sense of direction, but get me into the concrete jungle and all bets are off... that includes subdivisions; before GPS, I'd been known to get "trapped" in some of the convoluted new subdivisions/neighborhoods around San Antonio (eg. every street starts with "Oak" ends in "View" or "Bluff", and suddenly you've forgotten how many right turns and how many left turns you've taken thus far.)

I come by this lack of pathfinding ability naturally, apparently. My brother once tried to drive to a city west of San Antonio (TX), and didn't call to ask if he was lost/on the right track, until he hit the New Mexico border... I at least have a good internal warning system that tells me when I've strayed beyond my abilities, and beyond reasonable travel time to a locale (which would have been, for my brother, maybe 2 hours' travel-time, tops... not all the way across West Texas! )