Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

As you've probably noticed yourself, pressing the compass icon on the top left of the day switches between a fixed map, where north is always up, to a relative map, where your car is always pointed up.

I started with the former, but have been using the latter for the last couple days.

I'm curious which setting the rest of you nav owners are using, and if you've got rhyme behind the reason.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

Originally Posted by turk
As you've probably noticed yourself, pressing the compass icon on the top left of the day switches between a fixed map, where north is always up, to a relative map, where your car is always pointed up.

I started with the former, but have been using the latter for the last couple days.

I'm curious which setting the rest of you nav owners are using, and if you've got rhyme behind the reason.
I don't have the TCH with navi as of yet but I will soon. However I do use navigation programs and I prefer the rotating map instead of the fixed map. I find it easier to follow directions when I'm using it to guide me to a destination. It's easier for me to see the left or right turn I have to make when the make is rotating with my change of direction. That's just me though...

Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
I don't have the TCH with navi as of yet but I will soon. However I do use navigation programs and I prefer the rotating map instead of the fixed map. I find it easier to follow directions when I'm using it to guide me to a destination. It's easier for me to see the left or right turn I have to make when the make is rotating with my change of direction. That's just me though...
Me too.

I much prefer to have mine set to "Heading-up" as Toyota refers to it.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I prefer the car up map. The north up map takes too much attention away from driving. The car up maps have visual and audible cues for which direction to turn, so I settled in rather quickly to the car up map. I prefer the same orientation of the map to the world out my windshield.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by Sooty
Me too.

I much prefer to have mine set to "Heading-up" as Toyota refers to it.
I'm confused. Do you prefer north up, where the map moves, or car up, where it doesn't? "Heading up" sounds like you prefer the fixed map, whereas the poster you quoted prefers the north up rotating map.

EDIT: I was doubly confused. North up is a fixed map, and "heading up" rotates. Thanks for straightening me out, Sooty!

Last edited by jay_man2; 01-12-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Dazed and Confused

I switch between both when I am in a new area, mostly to decide if there is a different more direct route that could be taken. It give you a better idea of "as the bird flies" routing than having the map constantly swing around. When I am normally driving though, it is in car heading up mode.

Also when entering a destination by location on the map, I use north up since I can find locations faster that way.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_man2
I'm confused. Do you prefer north up, where the map moves, or car up, where it doesn't? "Heading up" sounds like you prefer the fixed map, whereas the poster you quoted prefers the north up rotating map.
"Car-up".

The manual refers to the choices as Heading-up and North-up.

I prefer "Heading-up".

From page 17 of the Navigation manual:

"North−up symbol
Regardless of the direction of vehicle travel,
North is always up.

Heading−up symbol
The direction of vehicle travel is always up.
A red arrow indicates North.
"

Old 01-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by Sooty
"Car-up".

The manual refers to the choices as Heading-up and North-up.

I prefer "Heading-up".

From page 17 of the Navigation manual:

"North?up symbol
Regardless of the direction of vehicle travel,
North is always up.

Heading?up symbol
The direction of vehicle travel is always up.
A red arrow indicates North.
"
Gotcha. Then I'm with you, and prefer heading up.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

I'm a boater, so north is always up when using a marine chart. Therefore, when I am on a long trip, I use north up (fixed gps map).

When I am following local directions to a destination, and I am not familiar with the small area I am in, and the north direction is not important to me, I then us the rotating map.

Most of the time, I use the fixed map - (north up) so I can have a sense of direction.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Well my TCH arives next week but when it does I'll use heading-up. This is similar to the choice you get on PC battle games such as Battlefield II. The map can have North up or heading-up. I find it easier to use the heading-up and assume I will on the car too. Now if the THC only had a gun turret....

Quick Reply: Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands