Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/nav-hacks-unlock-blocked-features-11110/)

jagbagri 11-21-2006 09:21 AM

NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

I came accross this website while searching for the override function. Apperantly they sell hacks for the NAV system to automate the "I Agree" screen, use the full Bluetooth functions of the phones (automatic override) and even unblock the video capabailites using external source like video ipod :P . Even though TCH is not listed, other toyota models including prius are listed. I have sent them an email inquiring about the TCH, and have not heard back yet, if and when I get a reply back I'll post.

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Just wondering, what you guys think.....

Paulgw 11-21-2006 10:48 AM

Re: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Do you see anywhere that they say it works with TCH (i.e. 2007 Camry's), I don't.

jagbagri 11-21-2006 11:39 AM

I already said that TCH is not listed and I have emailed them an inquiry about that, but since all the toyotas use the same NAV made by Denso..... I know Prius uses the same NAV, the button layout is little diffferent but the software is same and the DVD is same and is inter-changable with TCH (I have tried this already).

schmidtj 11-21-2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jagbagri (Post 99684)
I came accross this website while searching for the override function. Apperantly they sell hacks for the NAV system to automate the "I Agree" screen, use the full Bluetooth functions of the phones (automatic override) and even unblock the video capabailites using external source like video ipod :P . Even though TCH is not listed, other toyota models including prius are listed. I have sent them an email inquiring about the TCH, and have not heard back yet, if and when I get a reply back I'll post.

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Just wondering, what you guys think.....

Good luck getting ANYTING from Coastal (including email replies) in your lifetime. Most of their stuff must be hand made. Almost Vaporware.

elmo 11-21-2006 03:02 PM

Yup, you won't get any replies from them.

Joe.B 05-03-2008 08:02 AM

jagbagri,
To pick up on this old thread...I was interested in getting video on the front navigation screen from a video ipod. Now that VAIS has their SL2Vi available to do this on the Camry 2007 Hybrid (http://vaistech.com/), I got one and plan on installing it this weekend.

This brings up a new dimension to hacks to unlock the blocked features of the NAV screen. VAIS (as expected for liability reasons) does not override the security systems of the Camry. This means the NAV screen video from the video ipod only works when stopped/parked.

To override/unblock this, it appears from forum searches there are one or two things that have to be done:

1) The speed sensor wire going into the middle of the 5 pins (pin 3) of connector F13 into the back of the NAV unit has to be modified. The name F13 comes from the toyota NAV wiring and troubleshooting diagrams page NS-49, and is the same as R12 in the http://www.oemvalue.com/install07.htm site which is the name used in your backup camera install instructions (which were very useful to me a year ago). From what I read in the forums it will not work just to cut the speed sensor wire, since the NAV unit is smart enough to realize no input is a hack and then reblocks the system as if moving. The solution appears to be to install a speed pulse generator to trick the NAV unit into thinking it is stopped (vs just no signal). Instructions to make one is at http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/...peedPulse.aspx but I just ordered it for $55 from the guy and waiting for it to come in. You then cut the speed pulse wire going into pin 3 of F13 on the Camry 2007 and bring the NAV side of the wire via an extension wire to the common pole of a SPDT switch (such as radio shack 275-648). The dash/vehicle ECU side of the speed sensor wire that was going into the NAV unit then goes to one pole of the switch. The other pole of the switch gets connected to the speed pulse generator unit you can get for $55 (of build for $20 if you are willing to). Once you install the switch in a convenient place, it can then switch between factory setting vs unblocked via speed pulse generator. There is a detailed forum thread on this approach at http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ions-all-time/

2. Some forum sites say the parking brake has to be grounded to get video to play on the NAV while moving. The speed sensor injector device guy thinks this is not needed (but he has a Toyota truck, not a camry hybrid). Has anyone done this hack yet on the Camry hybrid 2007 who can tell me if both are needed or just #1? If this is also needed, what wire going into the NAV on which connector has to be interrupted?

Would appreciate any install tips from people who have done this already
Joe

cngrevolution 05-03-2008 11:53 AM

Please be sure to post what you find after installing this. I was reading on their site and it did not mention the camry as one of the vehicles that it would work in. So I am very interested to see if this works!

ToutSuite 05-03-2008 12:11 PM

I installed the speed pulse generator (purchased from WileE) on my 08 TCH last Monday. Works like a charm. I put the switch on the top panel of the storage compartment under the AC controls (make sure you set it back far enough that the flip-up door won't collide with it mid-swing). My tech and I used wire connectors and wire clamps to make the connections. If something goes wrong with the car, I just remove the switch, disconnect the wires, reconnect the speed wire with itself, and pull the SPG out of the car before bringing it into the dealer. They may ask why the speed wire has been cut and reconnected, but I doubt it. And if they do, I can just say I had to pull the radio out to install my Vais SL2i and accidentally cut the wire.

As for the parking brake, Vais told me it would need to be hacked to overcome the lockout for video playing back from the iPod. I haven't upgraded to the SL2vi yet, so I can't tell you. I CAN say it would annoy me to drive around with the parking brake symbol on all the time...

Joe.B 05-04-2008 10:35 AM

I installed the SL2Vi for use with my video ipod in the 2007 TCH, so far here are some initial results:

1. It has a bypass to the "I agree" screen that automatically presses the I agree button for you in a few seconds. Very nice.

2. Great sound from the video ipod. The audio seems to work fine in CD-mp3 mode.

3. I can't yet get the video (DVD mode) to work, though VAIS told me it will with the TCH. I have a forum posting in their tech support to figure a few things out and make sure I haven't made mistakes, but...I'm thinking some prior work a year or two ago with an installer (DVDs and LCDs in headrests, and the initial VAIS SLI install) may have interrupted the parking signal to the NAV screen. However, I cannot find any wiring diagrams that explain what wire is the parking brake sensor to the NAV screen. CAN ANYONE HELP? which connector and which wire tells the NAV unit the parking brake is on?

Joe

Joe.B 05-06-2008 06:23 PM

The VAIS SL2Vi is now working well in my TCH 2007. The video looks and sounds great.

The problem I had getting the video to work was the PKB (parking brake) signal to the NAV unit has to be ON. My car did not even have a parking brake wire going to the NAV screen. If you go to the NAV screen signal for this (go to diagnostic menu, and go to the screen on the NAV unit that tells you if PKB, REV, etc is on or off; see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...en-menu-11376/ for how to get there) you will see that PKB is OFF regardless of whether the real parking brake is on or off.

The PKB sensor is at pin 1 of the 5 connector grey plug that also carries the speed sensor wire on pin 3 (purple wire) and the reverse sensor wire on pin 5. There is also a black wire on pin 2 (not sure what this is for). This 5 pin grey connector is called R12 in the diagram at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...ictures-11672/ and once I put in a pin to connect it to ground by bolting the wire from pin 1 that I inserted to the NAV body, the PKB signal on the NAV on the diagnostic screen went to ON. Once this happened, the video worked great.

So far, the VAIS SL2Vi is working great for both audio and video in TCH 2007 I have. SOund and picture is outstanding. Now for some test drives to see if it will still be working when the car is moving.
Joe

mikieboyblue 05-06-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Joe.B (Post 171248)
The VAIS SL2Vi is now working well in my TCH 2007. The video looks and sounds great.

The problem I had getting the video to work was the PKB (parking brake) signal to the NAV unit has to be ON. My car did not even have a parking brake wire going to the NAV screen. If you go to the NAV screen signal for this (go to diagnostic menu, and go to the screen on the NAV unit that tells you if PKB, REV, etc is on or off; see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...en-menu-11376/ for how to get there) you will see that PKB is OFF regardless of whether the real parking brake is on or off.

The PKB sensor is at pin 1 of the 5 connector grey plug that also carries the speed sensor wire on pin 3 (purple wire) and the reverse sensor wire on pin 5. There is also a black wire on pin 2 (not sure what this is for). This 5 pin grey connector is called R12 in the diagram at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...ictures-11672/ and once I put in a pin to connect it to ground by bolting the wire from pin 1 that I inserted to the NAV body, the PKB signal on the NAV on the diagnostic screen went to ON. Once this happened, the video worked great.

So far, the VAIS SL2Vi is working great for both audio and video in TCH 2007 I have. SOund and picture is outstanding. Now for some test drives to see if it will still be working when the car is moving.
Joe

Cool. Can it handle video from other sources? Say, DVD player?

Joe.B 05-15-2008 09:23 PM

Mike,
don't know yet if DVD will play video on NAV. So far, what is clear about the video on NAV is:

Using the VAIS SL2Vi and video ipod
-the video plays very well on the NAV screen when parked if you ground the parking brake sensor pin (that does not even have a wire going to it in TCH 2007)
-when the car starts in motion, the video stops, though the sound continues
-if you cut the speed sensor wire and bring it to a switch so one side is factory default (speed sensor wire as is originally) and the other side of the switch the wire is cut, then when you "cut the wire" by flipping the switch the video stays on while in motion for about half a minute then stops. If you flip the switch to factory default and wait a minute then flip again, you can get another half min of video before it stops. So the NAV is smart enough (or has other sensor wires) to detect that parking break=ON and speed=0 while car is moving is a hack and the video stops after half a min.

What I suspect is possible but don't know how to do it yet is
-get the ipod video to play while moving
-get a video switcher that allows headrest DVDs to play on NAV
Questions for these issues are
-what has to be bypassed?
-and for the video switcher, does the DVD output have to be adapted in some way for the RGB of the NAV screen
If anyone had figured these items out, please post a comment.
Joe

ToutSuite 05-15-2008 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Joe.B (Post 172557)
Mike,
don't know yet if DVD will play video on NAV. So far, what is clear about the video on NAV is:

Using the VAIS SL2Vi and video ipod
-the video plays very well on the NAV screen when parked if you ground the parking brake sensor pin (that does not even have a wire going to it in TCH 2007)
-when the car starts in motion, the video stops, though the sound continues
-if you cut the speed sensor wire and bring it to a switch so one side is factory default (speed sensor wire as is originally) and the other side of the switch the wire is cut, then when you "cut the wire" by flipping the switch the video stays on while in motion for about half a minute then stops. If you flip the switch to factory default and wait a minute then flip again, you can get another half min of video before it stops. So the NAV is smart enough (or has other sensor wires) to detect that parking break=ON and speed=0 while car is moving is a hack and the video stops after half a min.

What I suspect is possible but don't know how to do it yet is
-get the ipod video to play while moving
-get a video switcher that allows headrest DVDs to play on NAV
Questions for these issues are
-what has to be bypassed?
-and for the video switcher, does the DVD output have to be adapted in some way for the RGB of the NAV screen
If anyone had figured these items out, please post a comment.
Joe

To get the video playing while moving, look into a speed pulse generator. I put one in my TCH, and while I don't have an SL2Vi (yet), all the normally locked out functions of my SL2i are accessible when turning on the speed pulse generator.

More information on building or buying and installing one can be found here:

http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/...peedPulse.aspx

Joe.B 05-16-2008 05:41 AM

toutSuite,
Earlier this month I read the tundrasolutions.com threads on the speed pulse generator (SPG) and thought, as you did, that might be the solution. I got and installed one. The switch now switches between factory default for the speed sensor wire and the SPG input into the speed sensor wire. The good and bad news is
GOOD: it works great for unblocking most functions when you drive, and no need for software solutions of the 5.2 kwi file on 6.1 or 7.1 map disks - it is also easier for input - just flip a switch. Glad I did it
BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/

Joe

mikieboyblue 05-16-2008 08:00 AM

Joe,

Thank you for the detailed response! Safety restrictions are a real pain in the butt. Too much trying to protect people from themselves.

Have you attempted to use the software override feature instead of a SPG?

Mike

ToutSuite 05-16-2008 10:21 AM

Joe -

Well, that's disappointing to hear. I'm not 100% sure there is a workable solution, in that case, unless you could somehow also temporarily disconnect the GPS and gyro sensor wires, to truly make the car think it's not moving. I'm not even sure that would be enough, and at that point you're cutting and splicing a lot of wires with lots of potential side effects.

Dang 05-16-2008 08:56 PM

That's interesting on the video input and the speed pulse generator.

Here's a thought. Try applying +12 to the reverse wire running to the Nav as well. Usually these inputs are installed to work with backup cameras. If the Nav thinks the car is in reverse, it "might" not cut out when the speed pulse generator sends it's pulse.

Cheers!

Dang

Jer 05-16-2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 172646)
That's interesting on the video input and the speed pulse generator.

Here's a thought. Try applying +12 to the reverse wire running to the Nav as well. Usually these inputs are installed to work with backup cameras. If the Nav thinks the car is in reverse, it "might" not cut out when the speed pulse generator sends it's pulse.

Cheers!

Dang

I seriously doubt it wants you inputing an address while backing up. Not to mention won't the screen go to the reverse camera (even if disconnected if activated to accept the override from the reverse input wire) causing the screen to either show the video or a blank video signal?

Dang 05-17-2008 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jer (Post 172656)
I seriously doubt it wants you inputing an address while backing up. Not to mention won't the screen go to the reverse camera (even if disconnected if activated to accept the override from the reverse input wire) causing the screen to either show the video or a blank video signal?

I was responding to Joe.B, specifically this:

"BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/"

I think that's exactly his goal. I assume he wants the screen to show video while driving. If you connect the reverse wire, and use the SPG, it will actually think you are backing up very slowly, exactly the condition when it would activate the reverse camera right? You'd need to switch the reverse wire off (and perhaps the SPG depending what you want to do) to use other functions like Nav.

Not sure if it will work, but it's a thought. You might end up with the "Check your surroundings" message though.

Cheers!

Dang

Jer 05-17-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 172695)

"BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at

I think that's exactly his goal. I assume he wants the screen to show video while driving. If you connect the reverse wire, and use the SPG, it will actually think you are backing up very slowly, exactly the condition when it would activate the reverse camera right? You'd need to switch the reverse wire off (and perhaps the SPG depending what you want to do) to use other functions like Nav.

Not sure if it will work, but it's a thought. You might end up with the "Check your surroundings" message though.

Cheers!

Dang

10-4. I misunderstood what was trying to be accomplished with this.

mikieboyblue 05-17-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 172695)

Cheers!

Dang

Yes, I believe you will have the "Check your surroundings" messages on the screen. There was another person, I cannot remember who, on this forum who wired his video to reverse camera. I also do not believe he needed a speed pulse generator.

I am hoping there will be a solution that does not result in that message being on the screen. I was hoping the VAIS solution would do that. But I guess not.

Joe.B 05-18-2008 04:07 PM

Mike,
The software overide does not allow video to play while the car is in motion. It does allow the usually faded out buttons on the screen for the picture to look active (not greyed out) but they do not work even though they look active.

ToutSuite,
You have the right idea. There must be another wire or wires that inactivate video while moving beyond the parking brake wire and speed sensor in the plug described below. If there was a schematic we could find to see for sure what it is, I may or may not be interested in it...but not interested in cutting wires just to explore.

Dang,
I have a backup camera that is active on backup. It may well be that vide via the backup video input + falsely activating the reverse sensor wire will work to play video while in motion. But I find the backup camera so useful, I don't want to give it up. I suppose one can set up a switch to alternate inputs from default (with backup camera and reverse sensor wire) to modified (alternate video wire and falsely activated reverse sensor wire). Sounds like a project for a very long weekend to explore. I'm very happy with the SL2Vi audio and would also have to find a way to make sure that worked with video via the backup camera port (if that works while moving). As Jer points out, not sure what else would be affected - would sure be nice to hear from someone who worked out the bugs before that project starts!

mikieblyblue,
I agree if you try the video to backup camera input (if that works while moving forward and falsely activating the reverse sensor wire without messing anything else up) then the speed pulse generator (SPG) is not needed and the "check your surroundings" message would be on.

But note that the SPG is wonderful - I like it much better than the software override that takes my eyes off the road. For the SPG I just use my hand to flip a switch and the NAV buttons are activated (except for video). Happy I installed it even if not useful for the video issue. Also should allow map upgrades without needing the 5.1 kwi hybrid homemade disk.
Joe

Joe.B 05-18-2008 07:22 PM

http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html may be the solution. I am making an inquiry.

cngrevolution 05-18-2008 08:20 PM

Do report back. That unit looks promising. I do bet that the price is going to be a killer! Since they don't even put it on there. It only shows the camry up to 2005. I hope they have updated it for our new ones.

mikieboyblue 05-19-2008 08:15 AM

Thanks for the posts Joe.B ... let us know what you find out about that unit. If video is easy to acquire, I would do it, if not, to me it would end up not being the time.

ToutSuite 05-20-2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Joe.B (Post 172805)
http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html may be the solution. I am making an inquiry.

I don't see how this device is going to get past the safety features. It looks like just another way of routing video to the nav unit, which then decides whether or not to display it. Am I missing something?

BIGBMN 05-20-2008 08:24 PM

So it looks like the bottom line is no one has gotten video to work while in motion...

If all goes well, I should be purchasing a new 2008 Camry Hybrid in the next few days with Nav etc....I was watching these posts as I was interested in a video ipod interface so the kids could watch movies while in motion. Or, just adding screen in the back.

bkushner 07-24-2008 01:47 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D3

would this do what you need?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...vigation+video

BIGBMN 07-24-2008 02:53 PM

Is that for a Camry also?

Joe.B 07-25-2008 04:36 PM

bkushner,
It looks like it might work unless there are differences between the lexis and camry nav systems. I emailed the seller and his rely was:
===========
Hello, and thank you for your inquiry.

At the moment, we do not carry the application for your car. However if it becomes available in the future, I will be sure to contact you.

Thanks,

Eric
==========
I'm not sure if he knows it will not work, or is just reading the box of what car it was designed for and has no idea if it will work or not. If anyone has used this on a lexis, please let us know what the wiring diagram is like for it.
Joe

Dang 07-25-2008 05:21 PM

Hmmmmm....

Yeah, so you interupt the GPS signal and speed signal, then of course you can enter data since the unit thinks the car isn't moving. It's a nice switch, but $300 to interupt two wires is pretty expensive! Actually I still think the speed pulse generator is a more elegent solution. You don't interupt the GPS signal with the SPG, so the Nav still sort of tracks, though is a bit jerky. It also locks pretty much instantly (since it never really loses lock) compared to interupting the GPS signal.

Of course the Lexus has the whole DVD bit our cars don't, so maybe there is more value there, not sure. Guess I don't quite see the point....

Cheers!

Dang

bkushner 07-25-2008 09:39 PM

joe, what about the wire cutting method on clublexus? That is supposed to enable all driving features. I am pretty sure our nav is the same as is250 and es lexus.

cngrevolution 07-26-2008 08:36 AM

Hey guys i posted this over in another thread. I was on coastal's website and they are showing a pic of a camry with NAV playing a movie! It says all features unblocked, coming soon! Just thought I would pass this along, as there may be hope yet! :D

cngrevolution 07-26-2008 09:21 AM

http://www.coastaletech.com/

scroll down about half way and you will see it!

bkushner 07-31-2008 08:27 AM

This coastaltech might be the answer then. Their prius kit enables video in motion and video connection for dvd or ipod it sounds like. The Vais product is ipod only I think. I would prefer a dvd input so Coastal might be the one when they finish it.

Joe.B 07-31-2008 08:03 PM

bkushner,
I did do the wire cut method for the speed sensor wire bringing it out to a switch with the SPG. It works great to get the greyed out NAV buttons to work while moving, but does not allow video to play while moving

Yes the VAIS is ipod only, which I use a great deal to listen to books in the car. It also does the video from ipod but only while parking. I will wait to hear about coastaltech from others who try it before I decide to get it. I would liek to understande how it works before deciding.

Joe B

jbollt 08-01-2008 07:07 AM

Joe B, I know that I have seen it somewhere, but a quick search didn't turn it up.... Would you be able to detail which wire you cut, and where you installed the switch. Thanks! Do you still need the SPG if you cut the wire?

Joe.B 08-01-2008 10:58 PM

jbolt,
The SPG details are at http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/...peedPulse.aspx
Cutting the speed sensor wire alone only works for 20-30 seconds of car motion, and then the unit realizes there is movement and cuts out (greys out the buttons). The SPG tricks it into thinking it is moving slow enough to keep the buttons active (not greyed out). See the link for more details. It works well, does not require any DVD modifications nor a sequence of secret LCD buttons, just a flip of the switch.
While it works well, it does not allow the video to be active while moving.
Joe B

Peltgrande 09-17-2008 01:00 PM

I just bought a 2009 Camry, (greenhybrid.com needs to add '09 option for entering car!), and have navigation. I got the SLVi2 unit from VaisTech and installed it no problem, but found out I have no video which led me here. (The sound is great!)

I have seen some of the solutions, but it seems to me that right now the only one I would consider is just grounding the PKB, and at least having video when stopped.

The coastaltech solution might be good. I called them today to find out about if the Ultimate Lockpick 3 would work on the TCH. It works for the '08 Prius, and the website says they are working on the TCH, so I am guessing it might not work yet for the TCH. They are supposed to be getting back to me on my question.

Anyone more savvy than me with this stuff: IF we get an unlock solution from coastaltech, will I still be able to have the SLVi2 input as well? Or since my SLVi2 is already attached, will the coastaltech lockpick be able to be plugged in as well?

Anyone else with any new updates on video in motion options?

bkushner 09-17-2008 01:06 PM

I've read on lexus forums that people are using both. Will you let us know what Coastal says when they reply? I'd love the lockpick.