NAV DVD 6.1 - $400 - Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAV DVD 6.1 - $400 - Ouch

Was at my local Toyota Dealership and asked about the 6.1 NAV upgrade price - $400.... Ouch and that's just extreme if you ask me!

I'll wait to see if it goes on ebay....or find someone to burn me a copy !

Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV DVD 6.1 - $400 - Ouch

I think it's even more ridiculous considering the problems people are reporting in the current version.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

After reading about the problems with it I decided that the NAV was just not worth it to me, and I will probably eventually get some kind of small navigation unit that we can switch between our two cars if we really think we need one.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Was at my local Toyota Dealership and asked about the 6.1 NAV upgrade price - $400.... Ouch and that's just extreme if you ask me!
Since we are talking about a software, then free updates for a period of time (say a year from date of car purchase) should be included. Especially if there are significant differences between the two versions. After all, 5.1 was released only in May this year. I don't think it is fair for customers to pay full price (as we all did until July or so) for a soft that's about to expire in what - a couple of months? If we all complain about this to Toyota perhaps they will provide all early buyers with a free copy? Of course, only if it's worth (jury is still out on that). Or do you think that this is wishful thinking? I still believe in ethics.

Last edited by lovekills; 09-14-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
After reading about the problems with it I decided that the NAV was just not worth it to me, and I will probably eventually get some kind of small navigation unit that we can switch between our two cars if we really think we need one.
I would suggest Mio Mitac Digiwalker Pocket PC with integrated GPS. Less expensive than Garmin and a PDA too. It comes with all car accessories. I have one for more than a year now that I use for long family trips in my Sienna, very pleased with it.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have version 5.1 and have not experienced any problems or missing roads yet.... Denver, CO area.... I work on a Federal campus that is usually blocked out by some mapping programs - but the TCH has those interior roads. Also - they realigned a road in my area about 2.5 - 3 years ago and that realignment is on the 5.1 version which also impressed me....

I would venture to guess that they focus first on the major metro areas..... It's not an easy job to keep up with all of the roads, construction, and POI's over the entire US - that's a pretty major undertaking....

I just checked out Honda's site and it looks like their updates for 2006 Accords cost about $200.... https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

Maybe Toyota needs too looks at other sub-contractors for their data?

Here's an intersting article too:

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...ata_pro_1.html

Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

And I though $180 was steep for the Acura Nav DVD. Honda NAV is excellent, maybe I'm now glad I got my TCH without NAV.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I just called my dealer and a nearby one.
Both said the following:
$250 for the 6.1 update.
It will not be available through parts until 02/07.
I think we need to start a thread for posting prices like
for extended warrantees. There has to be some hungry
dealer parts departments out there who will sell and
ship at a reasonable price.
J

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's just crazy. Everything from a dealership is overpriced, the same tire cleaner I can buy at Pep Boys for $3.00 is $5.99 at my dealership for example.

If I had a NAV System I would split the cost with one of you guys some how, buy it on EBAY, Burn it or find other ways to get it cheaper.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
WVGasGuy

For $400 I'd rather buy a stand alone updated garmin and use my NAV for the phone book and energy screens.

I just got a Garmin M5 iQue this morning for my company vehicle. I'll have to see just how well it works.

Besides, I really didn't want the NAV when I got it so while I've found a few roads missing, it's not enough of an inconvenience that I'd pay $400 towards an upgrade. I'd rather work on saving for a set of upgrade wheels.

Quick Reply: NAV DVD 6.1 - $400 - Ouch

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands