My first long trip...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default My first long trip...

We I just got back from my first long trip in my TCH. We went from East Tennessee to Baltimore, MD. It was about 550 miles one way. I must admit that I was a little disappointed with my MPG. On my trip up I got approximately 38.5 MPG and on the way back I got just below 35 MPG. These are calculated MPG's. My display obviously showed a higher number.

I filled up the night before leaving so I had a full tank when I left. I decided to fill up in Winchester, VA on my way up because I thought the gas would be cheaper there than in Baltimore. So my trip from home to Winchester was 38.5. My last tank of gas was from Winchester to Baltimore and from Baltimore to Bristol, VA which is where I filled up before heading home. On that tank of gas I averaged a little less than 35 MPG. I really thought I would get above 40 MPG.

I attribute my lackluster gas mileage to two things...the terrain and the weather. The terrain had more up's and down's than I remember. The elevation changes don't help your MPG's that's for sure. The weather was cold this last weekend. When we left from home it was about 30 degrees and the temperature didn't get up past 38 degrees (we left at 5am and arrived at 1pm). The trip back was about the same temperature. It may have gotten warmer in the afternoon on the trip back...

We are taking a trip down to the pan handle of Florida in September. I think my mileage should be better...

Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: My first long trip...

I have found cool temps affect FE even on long highway trips. I recall taking a summer trip last year and noted that during long gentle down hill runs at about 65mph (on cruise control) my FE meter would reach fuel cut (0L/100km or 60mpg) and I got an indicated 5.6 (42mpg), but taking the same trip at the same speed this time of year I was not able to reach fuel cut, there was always some fuel being used. It gives me about what you got, mid to high 30s.

I also notice that even if start and end points are the same elevation, FE will be affected by the duration of downhill runs. If you get long gentle downhills with steeper shorter uphills that is great for FE. But coming back, long gentle uphills with steeper short downhills kill FE.

Last edited by Droid13; 04-11-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My long TCH trips have averaged about 37 MPG, and that makes me VERY pleased.

Other than a $55,000 MB BlueTec diesel, no car the size and comfort of a TCH can better it from a mileage/comfort standpoint.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I guess I should have also included that I'm VERY happy with the car. The nav system worked great, I love the stereo, the bluetooth is amazing and the car is comfy.

I guess I was surprised that I didn't get better mileage considering I can easily get 40+ MPG driving to and from work (hilly terrain) and when driving on the freeway locally (hilly terrain with some flat areas) my mileage gradually increases. Obviously my expectations were a little high.

I will say that the mileage in my TCH was better than my Honda civic

Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

According to my calculations 550/8 = 68.5 miles per hour. Even if you didn't take any breaks you had to slow down in some places due to traffic, tolls, ramps etc. From my experience to average 68.5 mph you would have to drive steady 75 to 80 mph most of the time and this is the type of speed where fuel efficiency starts to nose dive and probably that was main reason for such low mpg. I also found out, actually by accident, that in order to keep the heat inside the car constant the engine will run much more often. IMO poor cold weather fuel efficiency is due much more to heat generation than cold weather itself especially on shorter, slower, traffic light trips when running on battery and have the engine shut down is often possible. All in all 35 and 38 mpg is not bad at all. After all 38MPG is our old highway EPA rating and I'm sure the test is not done at 80 mph in subfreezing temperatures.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

I just got back from a trip down to Kentucky,on the way there i got just under 800 kilometers from a full tank going about 120-130 kms,tonight I came back,I filled up somewhere in ohio reset the trip, by the time I arrived in Cambridge Ontario the trip meter said 534 kilometers and the needle is on the first mark below half tank.I was very impressed with the car on the long drive, nice leather seats,the jbl stereo sounds great,brakes feel very strong in the stop and go traffic on the highway.Not having to fiddle with keys is very convienent,the only things i disliked were the headlights not very bright,the drivers side I could not find a comfortable spot for my arm to rest,there needs to be a spot for your left foot,like a dead pedal or something but other than that a great car for long trips.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Camry Freak

I just got back from a trip up north. (about 200 miles each way, plus about 100 miles from driving while up there.)

I was delighted when I got back home and filled the tank. The display (and my calculated MPG was 40.5mpg. It was about 1/2 freeway driving (65mph) over flat interstate. The other half was country road/highway (45 or 55mph... very flat, with a few towns where it went down to 35mph---which was mainly in electric-only mode) While we were up there it was hilly, but the hills were very gradual (both up and down).

I can't believe that I didn't have to fill up at all while on vacation. That's awesome! Nearly 600 miles on a single tank.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

I made my first long trip in my wife's TCH. We went to New Knoxville Ohio and back with and average of 43 mpg on the way up and 42.5 on the way back. On the way back we used the AC and head lights the whole way and we used cruise control (80% of the time) both ways. Great mileage for a car this size! We love it!