MPG Gauge and Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default MPG Gauge and Oil Change

I just had my first oil change at 4800 miles and used Mobil 1 0-20W and Mobil 1 filter (number 303?). Unless I am mistaken my MPG gauge is behaving differently. Sometimes, when stopped at a light the gauge goes to the top setting of 0 mpg when the gas engine is not running. Other times, under the same circumstances, it goes to the bottom, marked E mode. Is this normal? I have wondered if the change in oil or filter has resulted in some change in the gauge readings. I used the filter the store sold me with the oil and the change was done at a major automotive center (not a dealer). I have not driven far enough yet to see if my mileage is improved. Is the gauge supposed to indicate either 0 mpg or E mode when stopped without the gas engine engaged? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG Gauge and Oil Change

My mpg gauge acts like that and I have over 10,000 miles with my '07 TCH. I have found sitting at a red light with the engine running while the traction battery shows about a 70% charge. I found I can move the lever to neutral for about 5 seconds then back to drive and it will fall to the EV mode. Sometimes it's stubborn and I have to put it in reverse while holding the brake then to drive and the engine will shut off. No way do I like sitting at a red light with the engine running.

If the AC is running and the batter reads a little low then I can understand the engine running at a stop.

NOTE: I'm sorry guys, I forgot to mention this was my attempt to shut down the engine a a red light. Looking at the scan gauge I could also see the engine rpm reading showing idle.

The oil change would not have anything to do with the mpg indicator acting funny when you stop. Just a coincidence that you noticed it after the oil change. It takes a little while to get comfortable with the new readouts in the hybrid.

You should be fine with the 0W-20 oil. I changed to the 0W at your similar mileage. You may see about 1 mpg gain after switching. That comes to about 1 1/2 mpg after the engine is better broke in at 10,000 miles.

Last edited by rburt07; 06-26-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

well I have a 08 TCH and I also have a scangauge and in my car if I'm stopped and the mpg gauge is on 0 then my engine is running. You may not be able to hear it or feel it but its on. At least that is my experience with my car.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
well I have a 08 TCH and I also have a scangauge and in my car if I'm stopped and the mpg gauge is on 0 then my engine is running. You may not be able to hear it or feel it but its on. At least that is my experience with my car.
+1 I'm pretty sure the engine is running and you just don't hear or fell it.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Each time I have noticed the MPG gauge reading 0 mpg at a stop I have checked the display that shows no gasoline engine. It also shows nothing going to or from the battery. So, is this reading normal? If not, what causes the gauge discrepancy or fluctuations?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

I'm assuming you've got a non-NAV TCH. On this car, the display only shows the gas engine icon when it is sending power to the wheels. If the engine is on for any other reason (warming up, charging the battery, or something else) the display will be blank. If you're at a stop, the MPG gauge will be 0 mpg which is perfectly normal because the engine is on and you're not going anywhere. Remember that the display only shows how power is driven to or from the wheels. You can have no arrows at a stop or while moving if you're coasting.

--A2K

Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Well, the car in question has navigation. I'm not sure if this represents a puzzle or a problem. My first thought was that the oil filter (or 0-20 synthetic) was causing different engine pressure or performance somehow. I'm not a mechanic, but even I know that sounds unlikely. However.... What's up with this?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by wbray123
Each time I have noticed the MPG gauge reading 0 mpg at a stop I have checked the display that shows no gasoline engine. It also shows nothing going to or from the battery. So, is this reading normal? If not, what causes the gauge discrepancy or fluctuations?
Which display are you checking? Is it the Multi-Function Display in the center of the speedometer, or the energy flow screens on the Navigation display?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

I was checking the display in the speedometer area.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Like Atlantix2000 says, the mfd battery, engine, wheel display will not show a reading when your sitting still. It only shows the display when it's driving the wheels with the battery or engine.

Quick Reply: MPG Gauge and Oil Change

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands