Is Mileage Normal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is Mileage Normal

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have an 09 TCH with about 400 miles. My daily commute conists of about 6 miles each way to the train staition. I live in MA and it is currently 20 degrees F. I am getting about 32.5 MPG. I have read several posts about easing the gas. Is the mileage normal with a new car, short commute and cold weather?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
old fart
Default Re: Is Mileage Normal

I would like to buy your car.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately that does not answer the question and it is not for sale. I like it too much

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lkaufman
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have an 09 TCH with about 400 miles. My daily commute conists of about 6 miles each way to the train staition. I live in MA and it is currently 20 degrees F. I am getting about 32.5 MPG. I have read several posts about easing the gas. Is the mileage normal with a new car, short commute and cold weather?
Thanks

There's lots to read on this forum but the short answer, is that 32.5 mpg is very good with your driving conditons. Short commutes and cold weather are the worst kind of drives for the TCH. I would imagine in a regular gas Camry 4 cyl you would get about 20mpg under the same conditions.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM

As a new member, I'd suggest reviewing the FAQ in my signature. It discusses many of the questions about mileage that newer members seem to be interested in.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your mileage is within what would be 'normal'. You might be able to improve it slightly if you have a block heater and plug it in for a couple of hours (timer) before you leave in the morning.

In the summer, 6 miles is long enough to get the car fully warmed up and you could be in the 40MPG range.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well since everyone else seems to be about as friendly as a grizzly bear in March (edit: didn't mean you BOFH as you posted while I was writing) please allow me to welcome you to our forum. Your fuel economy is probably about on par for the newness of your car plus the cold weather and the short 6 mile trips. The problem mostly is that with your scenario the engine (ICE) never has a chance to really warm up. Once the car breaks in a bit and even moreso when the weather warms up your mileage should improve dramatically. In the meantime if you could schedule other driving errands along with your commute so that you would be taking fewer but longer trips that would help. Not sure if it is possible but is something to think about. Again let me welcome you to the forum and hope you enjoy the information and fellowship we have here.

Last edited by GreenRedTCH; 01-13-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

I agree......I have run into the "grizzly" myself in the past.....I doubt it is intentional....al least I hope not. I to have an 09 TCH (10,000 miles on it), live in Minnesota where it has been verrrry cold this winter. TCH is being driven by my wife to work about 11 miles away. I drive it on week ends, and check to see what she is getting. Her mileage ranges from about 27 - 30 MPG. We have dropped about 10 MPG this winter when compared to this last summer.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I don't think they were being Grizzly Bears. I think that people don't like to answer the same questions over and over again. Haroldo did put in quite a bit of effort on his F.A.Q.'s in my opinion and they do answer a lot of questions.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks!
I've been called worse (much worse).
I think most new users are unaware of the FAQ and could benefit from seeing it.

and, yes, it was a lot of work setting it up... and no, I didn't do it for myself

Quick Reply: Is Mileage Normal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands