Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Metallic vs. non metallic paint (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/metallic-vs-non-metallic-paint-14086/)

Freeze 06-18-2007 07:11 PM

Metallic vs. non metallic paint

So my beloved TCH, with a ding in the windshild, now has a big ding in the hood as well. Given the size of the boulder bouncing off the hood, I'm surprised Earth is still in its normal orbit. Anyway, grumble, grumble, I touched up the paint of my non-metallic SuperWhite and came to realize the paint seems pretty durable. A couple of door dings have also not broken the paint. The car is also not showing scratches, despite a couple of kids dragging all sorts of stuff across the car. Am I just lucky, am I blind, or is non-metallic paint more durable than metallic paint? Maybe the undercoat is white, so I don't see blemishes? I dunno.:confused:

abward 06-19-2007 04:35 AM

Re: Metallic vs. non metallic paint

Freeze,

KY or Japan?

LEAKYTCH 06-19-2007 07:18 AM

Your white paint is much more damage resistant than metallic colors, especially darker ones.

I have a Mag Grey and every little imperfection will show. Even small surface scratches.

mikieboyblue 06-19-2007 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH (Post 130482)
Your white paint is much more damage resistant than metallic colors, especially darker ones.

I have a Mag Grey and every little imperfection will show. Even small surface scratches.

Amen, black sucks too. I love the color but darn, does it have to get so many rub marks by just looking at it?

:cry:

We need a rock-hard clear coat.

What makes a paint metallic?

rmorrow 06-19-2007 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 130492)
We need a rock-hard clear coat.

I just had Ziebart's Diamond Gloss clear coat put on mine, with the ClearShield paint protection film put on the front. I don't yet know how well the Diamond Gloss will help against marking, but it sure looks nice right now!

mikieboyblue 06-19-2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 130497)
I just had Ziebart's Diamond Gloss clear coat put on mine, with the ClearShield paint protection film put on the front. I don't yet know how well the Diamond Gloss will help against marking, but it sure looks nice right now!

How much did that cost you? I also have two paint blemishes on the hood. I am truly disappointed with the paint quality. It is my number one complaint for the car.

rmorrow 06-19-2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 130500)
How much did that cost you? I also have two paint blemishes on the hood. I am truly disappointed with the paint quality. It is my number one complaint for the car.

It cost a small fortune, but then, I didn't try to negotiate - I just wanted it done. So, $750 CDN altogether.

The kicker is that on the ClearShield application, they couldn't do the nose piece around the grill as one piece, so they cut it. Now that doesn't bother me so much, but on one side the cut was so crooked, and left such a big gap, that from a distance it looked like a scratch. :omg: So I took it back at lunch time today, and complained that for $500 (the ClearShield portion) I expected a better job than I can do myself (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have messed it up that badly). After I hinted that my showing off this job wasn't the best advertising Ziebart could have, they agreed to redo it - so I get it done next Monday.:)

mikieboyblue 06-19-2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 130524)
It cost a small fortune, but then, I didn't try to negotiate - I just wanted it done. So, $750 CDN altogether.

The kicker is that on the ClearShield application, they couldn't do the nose piece around the grill as one piece, so they cut it. Now that doesn't bother me so much, but on one side the cut was so crooked, and left such a big gap, that from a distance it looked like a scratch. :omg: So I took it back at lunch time today, and complained that for $500 (the ClearShield portion) I expected a better job than I can do myself (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have messed it up that badly). After I hinted that my showing off this job wasn't the best advertising Ziebart could have, they agreed to redo it - so I get it done next Monday.:)

Interesting....thanks for the info.

And good job getting them to do it again.

Freeze 06-19-2007 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by abward (Post 130471)
Freeze,

KY or Japan?

Early one, from Japan.