LoJack Good? LoJack Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default LoJack Good? LoJack Bad?

Has anybody put a LoJack on a TCH? I've heard how 'cool' LoJack is, being able to send a signal to alert police to your car. But really, does it work? Is it worth it? And does it interfere with the nifty smart-key thing?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: LoJack Good? LoJack Bad?

I do not support spending any amount of money for Lo Jack. If you carry comprehensive coverage with your insurance company and the car is stolen you will be covered. If your car gets stolen and it has lo jack, they may have a greater chance at recovering your car but you may end up wishing they never did as the theives may have driven it too hard and thrashed it. I guess if you have no comp. coverage or a really high deductable it possibly may make sense. As for people worrying that the Ins. co. may not pay you enough to cover the costs of replacing your car, I would not fret. Having been a former claim rep for an auto insurance company for 6+ years, I can say that the ins. co. needs to pay the correct amount or a bit higher. You have a policy with them and pay your premiums. In exchange for those premiums the policy you have is a contract that specifies that in the event of a theft, they must cover the cost of what your vehicle was worth at the time of the theft plus tax, and dmv fees. They are worried about giving out "low ball" offers because if they do, then they violate the contract and set themselves up for a "bad faith" lawsuit. Anyway... I am rambling.... my advice is to carry comp. coverage on your policy with a low deductable which will cover you in the event of a theft, vandalism, flood, earthquake, being hit by an animal etc... By the way on my '06 HCH the cost for the comp coverage with a $0 deductable is only $39 every 6 months. Comp coverage is usually pretty cheap and a good buy. I tend not to carry collision coverage, but do carry comp.