Leather on TCH -- Port installed or Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Leather on TCH -- Port installed or Japan?

Just curious -- Is the leather package (for the heated seats) on the TCH istalled in japan or at the US port?

Old 08-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Leather on TCH -- Port installed or Japan?

I beleive if you have heated seats is it factory. I have the SE Toyota Port leather and am not impressed, seems sub par and loos fitting to the front seats. If I were going to keep this car for 5 years and 100K I would be worried, as I will probably have it only 2 years it will probably be ok, although they already replaced the drivers bottom leather due to a chip. Seems the way this port leather is made the leather is a real thin layer bonded to something else. Real junk considering it is more expensive than the factory leather. Next time if I can't get factory would go after market like Katskin.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clipper
Just curious -- Is the leather package (for the heated seats) on the TCH istalled in japan or at the US port?
If it comes with the leather package (noted on the Toyota window sticker) it was installed at the time the car was manufactured. I just had a Katzkin leather kit installed locally by a certified Katzkin dealer. Very high quality leather and they did a great install job. Color is an exact match. My Toyota dealer could not believe how nice it turned out. I'm very pleased. Do a web search for 'Katzkin Leather' and their website will give you the dealer listing in your area. The kit cost $700 retail and the intall job $500 with tax. Took the installer 1 1/4 days to do the job so I think $1200 was fair. I believe seat heats can be installed at the time of installation. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

In addition to the Heated Seats, factory leather also gets you a 4-way power passenger seat.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys -- yep the pax seat is powered -- that is the answer.

thnx

Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

The TCH I was looking for has "Leather Faced Seats with LiquiCell the leading Edge of Comfort Technology" which is port installed and although more expensive than factory leather, it is not as good of a quality and you do not get heated seats and power passenger seat. Anyone has any positive outstanding comments/results with the "Leather Faced Seats with LiquiCell the leading Edge of Comfort Technology" seats?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agnosto
The TCH I was looking for has "Leather Faced Seats with LiquiCell the leading Edge of Comfort Technology" which is port installed and although more expensive than factory leather, it is not as good of a quality and you do not get heated seats and power passenger seat. Anyone has any positive outstanding comments/results with the "Leather Faced Seats with LiquiCell the leading Edge of Comfort Technology" seats?
Nope. Wish I had the factory leather. The Liquicell leather looks like it was added aftermarket, is loose and wrinkled and seems to be a lower quality leather than the factory. I would have liked the power passenger seat, too. I can't say my bottom feels any better than when I drove the factory leather. Live and learn.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agnosto
That's the Port leather in my TCH and I regret getting it. It feels cheap and honestly plasticy. It is by far the wrost leather I have had in recent cars. I don't see that it will hold up well in the long haul. I woudl prefer genuine Toyota leather otherwise Katskin. The dealer already repalced my drivers seat cushion as the leather flaked off ina spot. And as mentioned before, it is loose and wrinkly. Not worth anywhere near the $1400+ they charge. The finished surface of the leather is extremely thin and crap. Did I mention this leather is junk?

Last edited by kluken; 09-07-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
That's the Port leather in my TCH and I regret getting it. It feels cheap and honestly plasticy. It is by far the wrost leather I have had in recent cars. I don't see that it will hold up well in the long haul. I woudl prefer genuine Toyota leather otherwise Katskin. The dealer already repalced my drivers seat cushion as the leather flaked off ina spot. And as mentioned before, it is loose and wrinkly. Not worth anywhere near the $1400+ they charge. The finished surface of the leather is extremely thin and crap. Did I mention this leather is junk?
I hear you and I agree with you, now I am given the choice of not messing with it and just have the Ash fabric cloth interior which I am not sure about the durability of the cloth fabric and I believe someone in edmunds forum said it is not good quality as well... BTW, I found out that you can get a navigation on a base TCH like the one I am negotiating, as it is easy for the dealer will not have to do all the add-ons at the port... anyway, below is a sale price for a 2007 TCH:
>Options:
>
>Heated Outside Mirrors
>Navigation
>Carpet Mats
>Mud Guards
>
>Out the door Price:
>
>MSRP: $28,163.58
>Discount: 878.00
>
>Selling Price: 27,285.58
>
>Tax 818.57
>Doc. Fee 399.00
>Title Fee 49.00
>Tag Fee 68.00
>Inspection 9.30
>
>Total $28,629.45

Is it a good deal (no factory leather or moon roof, just a plain TCH with NAV and heated mirrors from factory) ???

Last edited by agnosto; 09-07-2006 at 02:24 PM.