I've come over to the Green Side...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I've come over to the Green Side...

Well, I just got my Camry Hybrid (2009), and I am giddy like a school girl. Sure, some of it is just having a new car period, but also, I'm looking forward to saving about 1/3 on my gas costs.

It was a bit tough for me to give up the power of a V6, but I realized I'm not 20 years old and don't need to impress anyone. I'd rather impress my wallet, especially with gas prices set for another banner year.

Overall, I am happy. A couple initial observations:

Very quiet compare to other cars...it's amazing how much you get used to engine noise, and when it's absent, it's noticeable (along with a lack of vibration. When I drive other "regular" cars, even though they are "smooth and quiet" for their class, they seem noisy to me.

Which leads me to...the stereo, which is very nice - low engine noise + 440W means music sounds good - don't need to pump the stereo to overcome engine noise.

Completely dig the keyless/FOB enty and car start. Really, really nice not having to take keys out of pocket. I wish all my cars (and house) had this.

I was parked by a Lexus ES, and the cars look almost the same....except I didn't waste another $15K (and 15 mpg) on a status symbol. :-)

I could pick a few nits, of course - I noticed a couple fit and finish items, but nothing I can't have taken car of. The alloy wheels look like wheel covers, and i wish they were 17"s and a better style, but they are ok.

I also wish the windows were tinted, but I guess I'll be making a trip to the local shop to get that put on (I highly recommend it - it lowers in the inside temp significantly (AC doesn't have to work to cool car), and it protect the inside from UV and prying eyes.

Another big plus - being able to run AC without having the car on - very appreciated by the family on a hot day (or cold night) when I need to run backi into the house/into a store/etc for a few minutes.

This is a lot of car/function for the money.

I sure I will continue to have things to say over the coming weeks, but in the meantime, I am enjoying, and can amswers any questions about the 2009 that folks might have.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I've come over to the Green Side...

Congrats!!

Btw, the TCH does have V6 power lol. As long as you don't compare them to today's V6s with 268hp =P. It does compare very favourably to the old 194hp 3.0 litre V6 Camry in power and 0-60 time.

Engage the ECO mode to save a bit more on heating/cooling. It will take longer to heat/cool the cabin because it's using less power to conserve fuel.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Congrats!!

Btw, the TCH does have V6 power lol. As long as you don't compare them to today's V6s with 268hp =P. It does compare very favourably to the old 194hp 3.0 litre V6 Camry in power and 0-60 time.

Engage the ECO mode to save a bit more on heating/cooling. It will take longer to heat/cool the cabin because it's using less power to conserve fuel.
True, it's all relative...compared to a V6 of 10 years ago, it's pretty good.

It's quick enough for getting around.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats! I've owned mine for 1 year and 9 days and I'm still loving it. Weather is getting warmer and I'm looking forward to better gas mileage.

Enjoy your TCH!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamiEimaj
Congrats! I've owned mine for 1 year and 9 days and I'm still loving it. Weather is getting warmer and I'm looking forward to better gas mileage.

Enjoy your TCH!
Thanks...I'm already 120 miles into it, and the needle is still at 7/8 of a tank. Wow. My old car, that would be much lower.

Reminds me of the line in "Trading Places"

"Looking good, Billy Ray.....Feeling good, Louis!"

Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome....I've had a TCH for all of a month now

My wife has a 2008 Lexus ES and you are right about how similar the two cars look.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Enthused Driver

I had very similar reactions to my TCH '08 that I picked up last week. This in heckuva car, adn I hope to be driving it for a really long time.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: I've come over to the Green Side...

I've had my 09 TCH for a little over 2 weeks now, just hit 1,000 miles, 2 tanks so far, ~ 36mpg each. Came from a BMW X5 and while not a BMW the TCH is a very nice car and I do enjoy it, and of course the fact that I used to get 16 mpg premium .
This forum is great and a lot of good info here.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoachimZ
I've had my 09 TCH for a little over 2 weeks now, just hit 1,000 miles, 2 tanks so far, ~ 36mpg each. Came from a BMW X5 and while not a BMW the TCH is a very nice car and I do enjoy it, and of course the fact that I used to get 16 mpg premium .
This forum is great and a lot of good info here.
I hear ya...I couldn't fade spending the bucks on a Mercedes/BMW/etc. Esp. with the mileage and maintenance.

I am still on my first tank...the computer says 31 mpg...I've gone 150 miles and still above 3/4 mark on fuel gauge. Very please.

And the car runs very nicely. Once you get used to the shudder of the ICE starting, it's very smooth.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
True, it's all relative...compared to a V6 of 10 years ago, it's pretty good.

It's quick enough for getting around.
True but I wasn't even thinking 10 years ago. A 2002-2003 Camry XLE V6 would've done it in 8.6 secs or thereabouts. It has a 194hp (old SAE) 3.0 litre V6. 2004 saw VVT-i and a jump to 210hp (old SAE. 194hp new SAE)

Quick Reply: I've come over to the Green Side...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands