Interesting notes, Michelin vs. Bridgestones

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Interesting notes, Michelin vs. Bridgestones

New owners here with around 500 miles already. Couldn't be happier with the car thus far. Interesting though that the vehicle we had the test drive with had Michelins and rode like a dream. We purchased a different color vehicle loaded to the max and drove it home, it didn't feel like the same model whatsoever! I was just figuring the dealer had way too much air in the tires driving it home. Upon inspection after letting it set overnight, it did, they had 38 lbs in it. I lowered them to 32 psi. and reset the TPMS. Still not the same, even with less pressure. I knew the other vehicle we drove had Michelins and this car we drove home had the Bridgestones. It certainly did not ride and handle as good. we ran it to 300 miles and didn't like the way it drove compared to the car shod with Michelins. I called the dealer as the sales lady told us it had XM, and they just don't activate it at that dealer. Well I figured if they wanted an excellent rating, they would have to do something for us. I asked them to change out our wheels and tires to the Michelins, and install XM for cost. We ended up paying $300 to have XM installed, and they switched out the wheels and tires from a new car to ours. The wife drove it home and I called to ask how the new Michelins were. She insisted that they were awesome. Just like the ride from the car we drove prior to purchase. I checked the pressures in them that night she brought it home, and they were at 36 lbs. I drove it yesterday and all I can say is what a difference! The Michelins make that car! Nice smooth ride, its like a different car. We are seeing 36.8 MPG on the first tank and its fairly cold here in Minnesota. Bursts of full throttle to seat the rings lower that MPG also. Very nice vehicle.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Interesting notes, Michelin vs. Bridgestones

That is good too know, Thanks H

Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Interesting notes, Michelin vs. Bridgestones

My main concern when I bought was tire wear. I would have refused my deal if the car had come with Bridgestones. Mine came with Michelin so I didn't have to make an issue of it with the dealer. In talking with my mechanic at Toyota, he said the Michelins under the same conditions will average about 10,000 more miles than the Bridgestones.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:51 AM

Thanks for this thread, since I didn't realize there was more than one choice of tires. I picked my car up yesterday and the dealer told me (when I mentioned this topic) that half the cars come in with Michelin and the other half Bridgestone.
I was happy to see that I got Michelins.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:10 AM

I also made the deal on my TCH that if it came with tires other than Michelin Energy tires, it's a no deal. I noticed one day when we dropped by. The sales manger knew my car had been shipped and was sweating what tires it may arrive with. It showed up a few days later. We drove to town to give it a full inspection. It did come with the Energy S8 tires. Their michelin's best low rolling resistance tire. When they wear out I will most likely buy another set. Thats unless Michelin has come out with a better LRR tire.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-25-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

From earlier threads on tires my impression early on is that the US-built cars come with Michelins and the Japanese-built cars come with Bridgestones. I don't know if that's always the case though.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by chestr
From earlier threads on tires my impression early on is that the US-built cars come with Michelins and the Japanese-built cars come with Bridgestones. I don't know if that's always the case though.
Nope. Mine is Japanese built with Michelins. An '07 that I bought Nov. 24 '07. My Black Friday purchase last year.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Ours was built in USA and came with those awful Bridgestone’s. Glad the dealer swapped out for the Michelins. We had Michelins on her old 2005 Honda Accord, and my Daughters 2002 Passat and put Goodyear Tripletreads on both vehicles at the same time, and those two vehicles now want to go all over the road since the day we put on the Goodyear’s. I'm seeing a trend here. I am now thinking every tire we buy from here on in will be a Michelin. With the exception of my 2005 Audi A6 which does best with the ContiProContact tires. Hard to beat the Michelins even if they do cost more, they are worth the added cost for replacements for sure.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

I have the Bridgestones and haven't noticed any problems. Of course I haven't driven the car with the Michelins, either. Are the Bridgestones considered a LRR tire like the Michelins?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the Bridgestones so I've followed this thread with interest. Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but wouldn't it be interesting if the TCH Mileage database could be parsed/compiled with the two types of OEM equipment to have MPG comparisons?

Quick Reply: Interesting notes, Michelin vs. Bridgestones

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands