Hybrid "Premium" in the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Hybrid "Premium" in the US

OK, after reading about the hybrid "Premium" in Canada I decided to do the same for the US. Please note that some options had different prices depending upon the region so there may be some variation.

I compared a base TCH to an LE. I then added options to an LE to equip it like the TCH. The following options were added to the LE to equip it like a hybrid:
  1. 16" aluminum wheels
  2. JBL 6 disk sound system with Bluetooth
  3. Auto dimming rearview mirror w/compass
  4. and Cargo Net
Also note that the hybrid comes with VDIM standard, whereas VSC with TRAC is optional on the LE. As I've learned VDIM is superior, but we'll assume they're comparable for this comparison.

Base Price (w/freight)
LE - $21,080
TCH - $26,480

Add to LE the following options
$599 - 16" Aluminum Wheels
$1000 - JBL Sound System
$345 - Auto-dimming rear-view w/compass
$49 - Cargo Net
$650 - VSC w/TRAC

Total Price
LE - $23,723
TCH - $26,480

TCH Tax-Credit (thru 9/30) $2,600

Total Price After Tax Credit
LE - $23,723
TCH - $23,880

In addition the hybrid comes with the Smart Key, Plasmacluster (cool name) and Homelink which is not available on the LE. Of course, if you're buying the LE you could decide not to get some options and save money, but if comparably equipped I'd say there is no premium being paid for the TCH

Last edited by Orcrone; 06-08-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Re: Hybrid "Premium" in the US

I generally agree with the math.

note:

VDIM is def. an improvement over VSC with TRAC .

numerous reviews points this out.

having VDIM and getting a $2000 provincial sales tax rebate (in Ontario, Canada) were big factors in going from the LE to the hybrid for me.

also. I got $900 Canadian off the MSRP (in Ottawa, (OT) ) and $100 off the accessories I had added on. Other dealers weren't budging on the MSRP, but I didn't experience any trying to force on added extras. - Hope this info. helps.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree as well. I had to have mine shipped to Columbus from Atlanta, so that added to the price. Still though, the argument everyone is making is that it takes 3-5 years to earn back the premium you paid for the hybrid through savings on gas. But with the $2600 Federal and then the anywhere from $1300 to $2500 I've been seeing for OH, I'm paying about the same for a fully-loaded TCV6. That's INCLUDING the extra I'm paying for shipping. Not a bad deal at all.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
OK, after reading about the hybrid "Premium" in Canada I decided to do the same for the US. Please note that some options had different prices depending upon the region so there may be some variation.

I compared a base TCH to an LE. I then added options to an LE to equip it like the TCH. The following options were added to the LE to equip it like a hybrid:
  1. 16" aluminum wheels
  2. JBL 6 disk sound system with Bluetooth
  3. Auto dimming rearview mirror w/compass
  4. and Cargo Net
Also note that the hybrid comes with VDIM standard, whereas VSC with TRAC is optional on the LE. As I've learned VDIM is superior, but we'll assume they're comparable for this comparison.

Base Price (w/freight)
LE - $21,080
TCH - $26,480

Add to LE the following options
$599 - 16" Aluminum Wheels
$1000 - JBL Sound System
$345 - Auto-dimming rear-view w/compass
$49 - Cargo Net
$650 - VSC w/TRAC

Total Price
LE - $23,723
TCH - $26,480

TCH Tax-Credit (thru 9/30) $2,600

Total Price After Tax Credit
LE - $23,723
TCH - $23,880

In addition the hybrid comes with the Smart Key, Plasmacluster (cool name) and Homelink which is not available on the LE. Of course, if you're buying the LE you could decide not to get some options and save money, but if comparably equipped I'd say there is no premium being paid for the TCH
Add $595 for the smart key and ~$350 for the Plasmacluster to the price of the LE. However, you should subtract about $2000 from the price of the LE which cannot be taken off the hybrid since the dealers will deal on the LE but move very little on the hybrids.

The net effect is that the hybrid with the tax credit will pay for itself for most people in less than 3 years.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Here is another key issue, maybe 'the' key issue in the pricing formula.

The TCH is a V6!! It has about 190 horses and it drives and feels like the Gen5 3.0L V6.

There is always some differential between a 4c and a V6 and a V6 and a V8. It's about $2000. There are some buyers who will never under any circumstance buy a 4c but they will pay up to $2000 more for a 6c. This is about the 'going rate' for more performance.

Now the equation is very very different.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
Here is another key issue, maybe 'the' key issue in the pricing formula.

The TCH is a V6!! It has about 190 horses and it drives and feels like the Gen5 3.0L V6.

There is always some differential between a 4c and a V6 and a V6 and a V8. It's about $2000. There are some buyers who will never under any circumstance buy a 4c but they will pay up to $2000 more for a 6c. This is about the 'going rate' for more performance.

Now the equation is very very different.
Very good point!!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

I don't have mine yet, but the specs on the toyota website say that the TCH is a 4-cylinder. Where did you see that it was a V6? That would make the car even more exciting than it already is!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The ICE in the TCH is a 4cyl, but I think what they're saying is that in terms of its performance it is not the equivalent of the 4cyl that comes in its non-hybrid 4cyl siblings, and is more like the V6.

We didn't test drive a V6 Camry, but we did test drive both the TCH and the regular 4cyl, and I have to agree.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

Ohhhhh, i see. I would have to agree then. I test drove it on some back country roads and was speeding well before i realized it (the sales guy didn't like that so much). It is a powerful car!