View Poll Results: How do you calculate your MPg? If by hand is it higher or loewer than the trip comp?
Hand Calculation
70.59%
Display
11.76%
Mix of hand and display
23.53%
5 below display
0%
4 below display
0%
3 below display
5.88%
2 below display
17.65%
1 below display
17.65%
Same as display
8.82%
1 higher than display
2.94%
2 higher than display
5.88%
3 higher than display
0%
4 higher than display
2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How do you figure your MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default How do you figure your MPG?

This is a 2 part Poll. First I would like to know How you calculate your MPG. Second, if you record it by hand what is the difference between your manual calculation and the trip computers calculation.

14 Votes in for a difference between hand calc and display with an AVG difference of .4286 (Mikie's vote added in by hand)

Database Analysis Info

529 Vehicles Checked (Completed)
Hand = 34.22%
Display= 50.47%
Mixed = 15.31%
AVG MPG w/.4286 per vehicle avg subtracted from display entry method = 36.21 MPG for the TCH

The database is reporting 36.5mpg.

While 50.47% of the data reported was calculated via the vehicle itself it really didn't skew the numbers that much (.29% approximately)

Last edited by coolshock1; 03-25-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Update Database Analysis Info
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: How do you figure your MPG?

I have copied and pasted the information from the TCH database into a spreadsheet and gone through 56 vehicles so far. Here is the data I have so far. Hand Calculation of MPG = 33.93%, Display Calculation = 51.79%, Mixed Calculation Method = 12.50%. The last person I stopped at has an average of 40.2 MPG. So far you can see that in the higher reported MPG the majority of people are using the Display to report their AVG MPG. I will update after I have done more as there are a total of 530 vehicles and I have to click on each one to figure out how they report.

I plan on taking the results of this poll an obtaining an average of the difference between the display and the hand calculated methods and subtracting that number from the MPG reported by the people who solely record the MPG by the display method. I will then use that to figure out the overall AVG MPG from the reported vehicles and see how different my number is from the database number.

Last edited by coolshock1; 03-25-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Don't forget to pick two options. 1 for how you calculate you MPG. 2 If you choose the Hand method what the difference is from the display.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You got a lot of time on your hand!
I'll save you the trouble, if I may, the MPG computer is 1-2 MPG high.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM

I calculate it by hand - the MFD display typically shows the tank average about 1mpg higher than I calculate. Once in a great while it will be about 2mpgh higher.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I'm doing this while I am multitasking at work.

On all 3 of my fill ups it has been -3. You're probably right that in the end it will be in that range. For right now I am going to plug in 1.5 into my formula. I am 99 vehicles so far. H=30.3%, D=58.59%, M=11.11%.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM

First of all, Dan, THANKS to the hard work this involves!

It's been discussed before, but I think it deserves repeating here, with the current thread....the display MPG can be much closer to calculated if one does not top off the tank when re-fueling. I find that if I stop fueling when the pump clicks off the first time, I am almost the same on both methods of determining MPG. Also, as we all know, the hand calculated method has many inconsistancies as well. Different temperatures when fueling, slight slope of the car when fueling, different pumps at different stations...etc.

With all this said, I am interested in seeing what the poll determines. At first I calculated each tank, but now, after 30,000 miles, I am getting lazy, and just asume 1MPG less that the computer tells me, and I am extremely happy! This gives me about 39MPG over the 30,000 miles, just about double what the "old" car got.

EDIT: One last thought, It does vary some between the NAV equiped vehicles ENERGY display and the MFD display in the speedo area, as the former is user re-set, and the latter, resets automatically when refueling.

Last edited by jbollt; 03-25-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM

I take an average of the MFD and NAV ENERGY screen. I find it is usually within 1.5+/- from a hand calculated so I stopped doing the hand math and started recording the average only. Many times the MFD and NAV are the same. Rarely do they differ by more than 1.0.

Sorry, I failed to pick two choices :-( .... I should read better....

Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Driving in stealth mode

As Long as you pick the difference it's ok. If someone picks the difference then they obviously would have chose the hand method.

Now drop and give me 50 push ups for your error sir!!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by coolshock1
As Long as you pick the difference it's ok. If someone picks the difference then they obviously would have chose the hand method.

Now drop and give me 50 push ups for your error sir!!
I didn't pick a difference

1........2..........3.....oh my......4.......phew......5........I can't do any more......please.......*collapse*

Quick Reply: How do you figure your MPG?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands