Hardware unlock for Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Hardware unlock for Navigation

Since I recently bought a Tundra that came with the 7.1 version of the navigation software, I was interested in unlocking that version. (It does not have the annoying I agree screen.)

So I stumbled upon a post by WileEtundra where he made a "speed pulse generator" to fool the navigation into thinking the car is not moving.

So I decided to make one. I have not installed it yet, but if you are interested here are the details. (see the following link)

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-2/#post794102

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hardware unlock for Navigation

Right now I'd pay anything reasonbable to get a good unlock for the nav - either software or hardware, as long as it works. I'm still using my Garmin Streetpilot on long trips since it is easier to use!

John

Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Few weeks ago I took a ferry and GPS kept showing my car stationary, regardless of the clear sky with perfect reception and car actually sailing few miles an hour until I started driving off the ferry on the other side. I guess that's why completely disconnecting speed signal wouldn't work and you need to send the signal that car is traveling albeit at very low speed, close to 1 mile an hour. Also, dead reckoning won't work with this device so it's a good idea to have some bypass switch just in case you don't have enough sat. visible, for example driving in the city with tall buildings all around.
Thanks for the info and links

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Dazed and Confused

Yup, the guy that started the device shows on his website how to install it. He used a switch that would reconnect the original speed signal on one position, and would switch to the generator on the other position.

He also commented that the map does not scroll as smoothly with the generator.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is quite interesting. I have done the trick of removing the speed pulse wire in the past, but as noted a lot of the newer Nav's figure this out after a few seconds and disable the functions anyway.

Sending a pulse every so often, enough so it thinks it's getting something, but not often enough to think it's moving fast enough to disable is quite inventive.

Well done!

Dang

Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Come to think of it I wonder if the pulse gizmo is required at all. Assuming that you'll be accessing the menus for rather short time and hopefully not very often, maybe just cut off switch disabling the speed signal for a brief moment just to access the menu wouldn't be enough?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Dazed and Confused

You only have between 20 and 30 seconds to do everything you need to do before the nav locks up the functions, so if you are that fast (and the NAV does not hang like it tends to at times), then you only need a switch to kill the signal.

I plan to start installing the speed pulse generator this week some time. Won't probably happen tonight as I go to the gym on tuesdays, and tomorrow night I need to run some erands after work, then thursday I need to pick my wife up at the airport, and friday we are picking up our new puppy. Dang, I need to find some time to tear the dash apart.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
and friday we are picking up our new puppy. Dang, I need to find some time to tear the dash apart.
Seems there may be an opportunity here...put the new puppy in the car and he/she will tear the dash apart - problem solved!

Scott

Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
Seems there may be an opportunity here...put the new puppy in the car and he/she will tear the dash apart - problem solved!

Scott
You might be a little too close to the truth.

We are getting a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and he should be a bundle of energy.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great dog!!! They are unbelieveably loyal, but can be a bit hard-headed. They are very possessive of their owners. If you're getting a pup you won't believe the size of the paws!
Good swimmers too - they love to do it virtually year round. Hopefully you live somewhere cool to accomodate the heavy coat.

I have no doubt that the pup would dismantle the dash - and eat it.

Good luck!

Scott

Quick Reply: Hardware unlock for Navigation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands