Got a flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Got a flat

I got a flat this past weekend while driving interstate 81 in PA. Took it to Sears and they said that it had a nail through it and the belt broke. They couldn't patch it and had to replace the tire (I have the Michelin Energy tires).

Final cost of replacement after balance, disposal, taxes, etc was $202. What?!?

Does that sound right? At that price, I wouldn't expect a belt to break!

BTW, does I have extended warranty and extended maintenance. Anyone know if there are any provisions to recoup some of the cash for the tire?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Got a flat

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I got a flat this past weekend while driving interstate 81 in PA. Took it to Sears and they said that it had a nail through it and the belt broke. They couldn't patch it and had to replace the tire (I have the Michelin Energy tires).

Final cost of replacement after balance, disposal, taxes, etc was $202. What?!?

Does that sound right? At that price, I wouldn't expect a belt to break!

BTW, does I have extended warranty and extended maintenance. Anyone know if there are any provisions to recoup some of the cash for the tire?
If it was vandalized your Comprehensive Auto insurance could help. What you describe is a road hazard and I think you are fooked.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can't imagine a belt breaking. Usually a nail find the path of least resistance which means it threads through the belt and not actually breaks the belt. If your puncture was more a gash then I could see a belt breaking... but then your entire tire would probably come off it's rim in a complete tire failure.

I think what you got was somebody wanting to sell you a tire instead of fixing your puncture. Normally they show you the damage so that you can see for yourself. I suspect that a plug/patch combo would have done the trick. Unless the puncture was near (within an inch) the walls of the tire.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I kind of believed that the tire was "fooked" because when I filled it up before getting it to Sears I heard the air rushing out of it.

Are these tires that expensive (installed)? $202?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM
SPL

I paid closer to half that price (in US$ installed) in Canada for a Michelin Energy MX V4+ tire, which is the same tire, I believe.

Stan

Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I saw that tire online at Discount Tire.com for $145.00 US

Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM

hammr3, I believe Sears will price match, perhaps up to 30 days after sale...maybe you should contact them?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

I let a friend drive my Toyota Camry Hybrid while we were going to the dealer to pick up his new Avalon. While there, I noticed a screw sticking out of the right rear tire. It was too close to the sidewall, and the tire had to be replaced. Mileage on the car at the time: 178 miles. Total cost, including labor: $174.00. Sucks, but what are you gonna do? So $202 might not be that far outta line.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just curious if your low tire pressure indicator worked? Or was it the hard pull to one side that alerted you to the problem?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
Just curious if your low tire pressure indicator worked? Or was it the hard pull to one side that alerted you to the problem?
The indicator worked, but I noticed the instability first. The light is small and not very "in your face", so I didn't notice it until I was parked (about 10 minutes after I noticed the instability). After I parked I saw the light and got out to check.

Quick Reply: Got a flat

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands