First questions from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default First questions from a new owner

Greetings! In review, I just brought home a 2011 TCH, fully loaded, 4 miles on the odometer. I've read the faq and a lot of messages and still have three unanswered. The first is about cruise control. I'm used to my Dodge and setting the cruise control maintains speed within 1 MPH even on slight inclines/descents. However, on my TCH, it ranges by 4 MPG. Even on a straight stretch, this will happen. Say I set it for 44MPH. Once the TCH hits 44MPH, the car goes to coast mode and steadily slows down (faster on a slight incline). Once it gets to 40MPH on comes the accelerator (and down goes the MPH) until it gets to 44MPH. Then it coasts again (and the MPH shoots back to 60MPG). It repeats this over, and over and over. It can't be too good for the fuel economy when it constantly does this. Is this expected?

Second is the navigation. It states 150 feet accuracy but even with my cell phone I can get less than 10 foot accuracy. I'm curious as to why? Also, is there no readout for speed of the car and current speed limit of the road like all the other navigation programs?

Last, when listening to FM radio, my wife likes to see the RDS data (station ID, track name, artist name, etc. However, it seems as if all I get is a "Text" icon displayed and when you press that it says that is disabled because the car is moving. Huh?

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited by gregma; 07-23-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First questions from a new owner

That don't sound right about a normally operating toyota cruise control. I have a 2007 TCH and the cruise is very smooth and stays usually right on the speed selected.

It will pull down a few mph when climbing a overpass, then tend to speed up a few mph. I always release the cruise when I come up to a overpass to prevent the unnecessary acceleration. I use the accelerator to go up and over then put back on the cruise.

A car accelerating like you mention to 60 mph is sure pulling down your gas mileage.

Try finding a street or hill location near the dealer where the problem shows up with your cruise. Tell the service person the location so they can duplicate the problem.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-24-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
That don't sound right about a normally operating toyota cruise control. I have a 2007 TCH and the cruise is very smooth and stays usually right on the speed selected.

It will pull down a few mph when climbing a overpass, then tend to speed up a few mph. I always release the cruise when I come up to a overpass to prevent the unnecessary acceleration. I use the accelerator to go up and over then put back on the cruise.

A car accelerating like you mention to 60 mph is sure pulling down your gas mileage.

Try finding a street or hill location near the dealer where the problem shows up with your cruise. Tell the service person the location so they can duplicate the problem.
That's a great idea, thanks I'll look for a spot to give that a try!

Greg

Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Make sure your cruise is within one mile per hour when at highways speeds. This would be when your going over small hills in the road. Your 4 mph devation and the coasting at 44 mph don't sound right for a toyota cruise. I would take it to the dealer and see if they can fix your cruise control.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.