FE Meter at Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default FE Meter at Max

Hi all, I've noticed something with my FE meter that I wanted to get some feedback on whether or not it is normal.

Occasionally when I come to a full stop, the MFD shows that the ICE is not on and the battery is not being used or charged, my FE meter spikes from e-mode to Max, stays there for a few seconds and then drops back to the e-mode. This usually happens once on any trip and usually after a few minutes of driving.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FE Meter at Max

I'm not positive, but I think this happens because (1) the battery needs charged or (2) the engine is just heating itself up.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've had my car less than a week.)

Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the engine is running and you're at the stop your FE should be zero and it's normal, but you can't always trust MFD display what's going on, so unless you can verify otherwise that engine is not running (you can hear it, you can also feel little vibration when it stops) everything is fine.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

When this happens, the battery is almost if not fully charged and I have been driving for 5 to 10 minutes. It does not happen all the time, but when it does, I can feel the ICE start up (the MFD does not show that it did start), the FE meter goes from e-mode to max, stays there for a few seconds and then drops back to e-mode.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

beng — This is perfectly normal. The MFD only shows the ICE icon when the ICE is supplying power to the wheels. In the cases you mention, it's not doing so. The FE pointer is at the top of its scale because the ICE is on but the car isn't moving.

Stan