Extended Storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Extended Storage

I am going overseas for a year and will not be taking my TCH. Can anyone tell me how to store the TCH for a year and what I need to do about keeping the car in good shape while I am gone.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended Storage

I'd have someone drive it every few weeks, and change the oil every six months...but that's just a guess. Keep it out of the sun.
I'd also call the dealer.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You could try to sell the car or give it to somebody reliable for safe keeping and occasional driving, otherwise pump the tires to max pressure so they won't get as square,fully charge traction battery, park and disconnect 12 V battery. Also I would grease or put some oil like WD40 on every exposed metal part, like locks, hinges etc. etc. You may need the boost from the dealer after 12 months for traction battery and 12 v jump but that should be easy.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got to go with Haroldo here. Don't leave it in storage, leave it with someone you can trust to drive it every few weeks. Cars are made to be driven periodically.

After a year of sitting, the tires will be shot and all the lubricants will drain down to the very bottom of the engine, which could cause problems when the ICE has to fire up. Maybe the 12V and traction batteries could be jumped, but regular usage is better to avoid any possible issues.

Just a half-hour or so of driving every couple weeks should keep it in fine shape.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Along for the ride.....

Leave it with me...