ECO Air Conditioning Limits Temp to 77F

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default ECO Air Conditioning Limits Temp to 77F

The 2007 Camry Hybrid New Model manual has lots of interesting info. One of the things it points out, is that the temperature is limited to cooling the car to 77F when ECO is on:
During cooling under ECO mode control, the room temperature is maintained at 25 C (77 F) even if the set temperature is below 25 C (77 F). Since the power consumption of the electric inverter compressor is limited under ECO mode control, this does not indicate a malfunction. To decrease the room temperature to below 25 C (77 F), the MAX COLD temperature [18 C (64.4 F)] must be selected or ECO mode control must be canceled by turning the ECO switch OFF.
Will Mayall

Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ECO Air Conditioning Limits Temp to 77F

hmmm...i find the air temp out of the vents to be much colder with ECO mode AND recirc air, vs with ECO mode with recirc OFF. I usually set the temp at 74, and the outside temps here have been in the upper 90s.

I wonder if the referenced limit to 77 degrees is independent of recirc setting?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
I wonder if the referenced limit to 77 degrees is independent of recirc setting?
The manual does not mention if other settings affect the temperature restriction. I suspect that they do not since they are not mentioned and the manual is quite comprehensive.

Will Mayall

Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Mine will freeze your a** right off, so I'm not worried about it.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
WVGasGuy

The 2007 Camry Hybrid New Model manual has lots of interesting info. One of the things it points out, is that the temperature is limited to cooling the car to 77F when ECO is on:

That's got to be a typo???? I leave mine set at 68 and it gets cold. I've never measured it but 77 is mildly warm and I'm getting cold. So cold that my wife on vacation puts her blanket over her legs and the heated seat on while I try to stay COLD.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
That's got to be a typo????
Well, they say 77F 3 times and 25C is 77F. It would certainly be an effective way to make the ECO setting efficient.

Will Mayall

Old 08-14-2006, 04:53 PM
WVGasGuy

I'll have to measure this somehow. I know in the house I think it's warm at 73. I can't imagine being comfortable at 77 (I like it cold) and I've been cold several times and had to raise the temp setting in the TCH and I always have it on ECO.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I'll have to measure this somehow. I know in the house I think it's warm at 73. I can't imagine being comfortable at 77 (I like it cold) and I've been cold several times and had to raise the temp setting in the TCH and I always have it on ECO.
Ditto, I keep the Camry on 72, whihc in the house woudl be the upper end of my comfort limit, so to think the car is doing 77 seems off to me, heck even in winter I never crank the heat to 77.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
Ditto, I keep the Camry on 72, whihc in the house woudl be the upper end of my comfort limit, so to think the car is doing 77 seems off to me, heck even in winter I never crank the heat to 77.

You lucky bastids...out here in the AZ with $350/mo home A/C bills, my thermostat goes to 87 deg when I'm at work and 80 deg is the lowest I'll ever put it!! I'd rather be cooler, but too much dough ray mee.

Either way, I'm sure based on the numerous comments about the CamHy A/C blowing plenty cold, I'll be happy.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM

This seems like an odd statement...

If the outside temperature is 97F, and the temp limit is 77F, this would be a 20F reduction in air temperature. If the outside temperature is lower (say 80F), then it would take much less energy to drop the temperature by 10F. It seems like if there is a limit to the amount of energy that can be used in ECO mode, they should specify that the system can REDUCE the temperature by a certain amount.

77F seems like an arbitrary number to me...

Quick Reply: ECO Air Conditioning Limits Temp to 77F

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands