Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

The gas tank indicator has been Orange and my Miles Remaining display has read 0 miles for the last...20 miles. But will my gas tank icon turn red when I ***really*** do need to fill up on gas?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

No.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
The gas tank indicator has been Orange and my Miles Remaining display has read 0 miles for the last...20 miles. But will my gas tank icon turn red when I ***really*** do need to fill up on gas?
Nope, you'll know you ***really*** need to fill up with fuel when your ICE quits and the car stops moving.

Scott

Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
Nope, you'll know you ***really*** need to fill up with fuel when your ICE quits and the car stops moving.

Scott
But DON'T let it get that low or you risk damage to the system!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
Some here run their cars 50 maybe 60 miles past empty. I forget the average miles after empty they can run but don't run out of gas. Someone may pass that information on to you. You should really like the new 2008. I have the 2007 model with about 5000 miles on it and enjoy it very much.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-16-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:32 AM

Maybe I am missing something, but what benefit is there in trying to see how little gas one can drive with. I won't be getting my hybrid until next week, but I can't imagine keeping the tank as low as possible.
I am not sure, but I think nothing good can come out of guessing wrong and running out of gas (except being able to brag about driving around without any gas), but something bad can come from not having gas.
I could be wrong, but if you are driving around and for some reason the battery system has a problem, the gas in your tank can be the difference between a ten mile drive or a ten mile walk to get home.
I know gas is expensive, but if you fill up today or fill up next week, the cost is not that much different.
I was taught to try and never let the tank get below 1/8 fill, a lesson I've taught my children.
What am I missing here?
Are people concerned about the weight of the gas in the tank hurting their MPG?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Maybe I am missing something, but what benefit is there in trying to see how little gas one can drive with. I won't be getting my hybrid until next week, but I can't imagine keeping the tank as low as possible.
I am not sure, but I think nothing good can come out of guessing wrong and running out of gas (except being able to brag about driving around without any gas), but something bad can come from not having gas.
I could be wrong, but if you are driving around and for some reason the battery system has a problem, the gas in your tank can be the difference between a ten mile drive or a ten mile walk to get home.
I know gas is expensive, but if you fill up today or fill up next week, the cost is not that much different.
I was taught to try and never let the tank get below 1/8 fill, a lesson I've taught my children.
What am I missing here?
Are people concerned about the weight of the gas in the tank hurting their MPG?
It has something to do with,"how far can I get on a tank of gas" kind of thing. I agree , this does not make any sense. I think if we all just drove our hybrids and enjoyed the fact that we are getting better gas millage than probably 99% of the cars on the road, it should be enough. Add to that the smoothness, ultra quiet ride and the luxury appointments,,,,,well I'm happy with that. BUT...everyone IS free to do as the please.JMHO.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Rather then take the risk of running out of gas and possibly causing damage to the engine. Why not take the mfd or calculated avg mpg, at say with a quarter to an 1/8 of a tank to go. Fill it up and if it takes 12 gallons, you know you have 5.2 gallons left. Multiply 5.2 by what ever your mpg was, add it on to the odometer reading at the fillup. This gives an idea just how far one could have gone on a tankful, without the risk.

tjq

Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjq
Rather then take the risk of running out of gas and possibly causing damage to the engine. Why not take the mfd or calculated avg mpg, at say with a quarter to an 1/8 of a tank to go. Fill it up and if it takes 12 gallons, you know you have 5.2 gallons left. Multiply 5.2 by what ever your mpg was, add it on to the odometer reading at the fillup. This gives an idea just how far one could have gone on a tankful, without the risk.

tjq
Yep it's an idea but it's mostly bragging rights. Just like sports car owners brag about 0-60 or ¼ mile, we brag about mpg and distance per tank.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 AM

I understand 0-60, but think this one is more like bragging how long you can hold your breath under water.

Last edited by haroldo; 11-17-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Does the gas tank indicator ever turn red?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands