Do you count your first tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Do you count your first tank?

I am debating on whether or not I should throw out the data of my first tank. The thing is, when I picked up the car from the dealership, the very nice lady spent about an hour to an hour and half showing me all the features of the car. I loved it, but as we sat in the car it was hot outside so we had the hybrid system on with A/C. The ICE came on several times during that hour and a half as we sat there not moving. This resulted in a lower fuel efficiency reading for my first tank than what the car really drove. I still got 33.7 MPG, not bad for a first tank, but it's not true either. I'm halfway through my second tank and have a tank average of 41.5 so far.

My question is: should I count the first tank in the greenhybrid database, or throw it out and call my second tank my first tank?

The questions that keep us up at night...

- Paul

Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Do you count your first tank?

Originally Posted by wallpad
I am debating on whether or not I should throw out the data of my first tank. The thing is, when I picked up the car from the dealership, the very nice lady spent about an hour to an hour and half showing me all the features of the car. I loved it, but as we sat in the car it was hot outside so we had the hybrid system on with A/C. The ICE came on several times during that hour and a half as we sat there not moving. This resulted in a lower fuel efficiency reading for my first tank than what the car really drove. I still got 33.7 MPG, not bad for a first tank, but it's not true either. I'm halfway through my second tank and have a tank average of 41.5 so far.

My question is: should I count the first tank in the greenhybrid database, or throw it out and call my second tank my first tank?

The questions that keep us up at night...

- Paul
I threw out the 1st tank for various reasons, including the one you cited.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Do you count your first tank?

I counted mine. It's part of real-world testing, and I don't think we should tamper with data to skew the mileage figures upward. When you have numerous tanks under your belt, the first tank, if low, won't make much difference in your lifetime average. However, you might always think you're "cheating" just a little bit if you don't include it. If you were to consider that the mileage database is only a historical record with no inherent meaning, and with no one to impress by your good mileage, there would be no reason to exclude your first tank. That way, you have ALL the information at hand.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I included mine also. It's part of the real world data. *shrug*

Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

My salesman did the same thing. I left the dealership with 4 miles on the odometer and a 9 mpg tank average. Today, after 200 miles, my tank average is 42.0 mpg. Thankfully my commute is 85% freeway. Even on the local streets I can usually keep it EV mode. Yes, i'll be posting my first tank.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Vegetarian

I would post it. You can add a note to the tank, to explain why the average was low. It's understandable for a first tank to be low anyway.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
WVGasGuy

I want to throw out my wife's tanks

Old 09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I included my first tank, but I didn't sit in it for over an hour with the car on (can't say with the engine running).

I also started with a lower mpg for the first tank, but after a while it will fall into the noise. As it is, it's fun watching the average go up with each tankful. My car is displaying 45.2 mpg after 425 miles since fill up.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

I don't think I would include that first tank.

Unless you make a habit of sitting in the car with the engine/ac running, it's not "real world" for you..

BTW - How do you get your little Hybrid Economy database entry to display in your messages??

Thanks

Old 09-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Hey Joe (WVGasGuy): Something has happened to your profile, it's missing, and your signature is not linked to your car's mpg data base.

Last edited by David Price; 09-28-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you count your first tank?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands