custom wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default custom wheel questions

i added the rear deck lip spoiler, and will be buying the colored keyed mud gaurds and side moldings. but the thing i am looking at that i am unsure of is a set of TRD 18" wheels and tires. my questions are, how do they affect the tire pressure sensor, will they still work ? what about the speedo, will it still read accurately ?probably my biggest question is, with these wheels, being a toyota product, will they affect my factory and extended warranties, as well as my service contract ? anyone have info on this? thanks.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: custom wheel questions

i am looking at that i am unsure of is a set of TRD 18" wheels and tires. my questions are, how do they affect the tire pressure sensor, will they still work ? what about the speedo, will it still read accurately ?probably my biggest question is, with these wheels, being a toyota product, will they affect my factory and extended warranties, as well as my service contract ?

I understand the BBS are what Toyota is installing on some of the TCH's at the port. However if the BBS wheels you are looking at are an older model wheel than they are currently installing then you may have a problem with the valve leaking on the TPMS. A good wheel installer should be able to look at that and tell you.

There is a current thread hrer with two links to a tire size calculator. Wheel dealers should also do this but I would want to know before I approached them as they will sell you what they have and say it's only off a little. A 205/50R18 will give you the closest accuracy, but it's a tad more narrow (good for rain?) I'd probably go with the 215/50R18 as it is only off from the OEM by 1.75mph at 65 and from what we've all found our TCH is off by 1.5 mph at that speed so what you have is a "more accurate" reading than the stock OEM tire.

I don't see where tires / wheels would affect the warranty UNLESS you went LARGE and caused premature wearing of parts that you wanted replaced. Since the dealers are installing 18" TRD BBS wheels as an option I would feel comfortable with that size.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: custom wheel questions

Originally Posted by jmorris
i added the rear deck lip spoiler, and will be buying the colored keyed mud gaurds and side moldings. but the thing i am looking at that i am unsure of is a set of TRD 18" wheels and tires. my questions are, how do they affect the tire pressure sensor, will they still work ? what about the speedo, will it still read accurately ?probably my biggest question is, with these wheels, being a toyota product, will they affect my factory and extended warranties, as well as my service contract ? anyone have info on this? thanks.
1) You can install the TRD 18" wheels on to the TCH with no problem. Just have whoever does your tire mounting to take the TPMS sensors out of your stock wheels and install them into your new TRD wheels. Toyota would never sell wheels as a TRD item if they are not compatible with the TPMS sensors. (not all aftermarket wheels will fit the Toyota TPMS sensors, although most of them will)

2) For a TCH, the TRD 18" would be a +2 sizing since the stock wheel is 16". (For a Camry SE, it would only be +1). To keep your speedo intact and unaffected, you would need to purchase appropriate 18" tires that keeps the outside diameter of the tire the same as your stock tires. This is called the "profile" of the tire. Any tire shop will be able to tell you the appropriate size profile tires you need to purchase, because the profile also depends on the width of the tire that you desire.

3) Toyota TRD products do not affect your factory warranty, because these are Toyota certified products. Any aftermarket (non-TRD) products might impact your factory warranty.