Couple Questions I can't find in Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Couple Questions I can't find in Manual

1) What does the B on my gear shifter do? Does it engage any more stuff or is it just the old 'L' and Toyota uses a different word for it?

2) After much looking, I don't see your old tried & true 'car battery'. The thing that wears out after 24 - 36 months and usually catches you the first really cold morning by not starting your car. Having no traditional starter I was wondering if it even had one, but then the Highlander Hybrid we got my wife does, so I am confused.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Couple Questions I can't find in Manual

Originally Posted by Trekkie
1) What does the B on my gear shifter do? Does it engage any more stuff or is it just the old 'L' and Toyota uses a different word for it?

2) After much looking, I don't see your old tried & true 'car battery'. The thing that wears out after 24 - 36 months and usually catches you the first really cold morning by not starting your car. Having no traditional starter I was wondering if it even had one, but then the Highlander Hybrid we got my wife does, so I am confused.
The "B" is like 'L' on older Toyota's. It essentially works as a low gear or for engine braking.

The 'car battery' is located in the trunk. If you look in the trunk on the right side you will notice a black plastic cover. If you open that you will see the battery. It's not your traditional battery as you see in other cars. I'm sure others will chime in with more specifics on that battery. There is a lot of information about it but you'll have to use the search function.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For one thing, the battery doesn't have to crank the engine, so it may have lower cold cranking power. Also it is a sealed type and regular battery could actually be dangerous, since it could vent hydrogen inside closed trunk, which holds NIMH packs and some relays. Good news is the battery should last longer than normal and even when weak, the car should start as usual. The bad news is Toyota charges a lot of money for it and OEM replacement would have to have very similar charging characteristics, otherwise the new battery wouldn't last long being constantly over or under charged. Either way we still have few years before we need to worry about it.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
SPL

That 12-volt battery is an "absorptive glass mat" type of sealed lead-acid battery. Its rated capacity is only 48 Ah (it powers only the electronics — it never has to crank the ICE). This type of lead-acid battery is chosen because it can take repeated deep discharges without damage (unlike regular lead-acid batteries), but it must be charged and discharged carefully at a controlled rate dependent on battery temperature, amongst other things. It has an internal temperature sensor (you'll see the connector near the + terminal), and an over-pressure venting pipe that runs to the outside of the car (also near the + terminal). It is custom made for Toyota, and should only be replaced by the same model.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 05-18-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Corrected Ah rating.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 PM

When the TCH 12 volt battery finally dies, I will most likely replace it with an Optima deep cycle battery. They are AGM construction and the over pressure vent accepts remote venting tubing. At $130, it is a lot less than the Toyota dealer for essentially the same battery.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

interesting. Any idea why the Highlander is totally different? It has a regular battery up front. Is that the older design?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is most likely more space in the Highlander's bay unlike the bay of the Camry, which is packed as it is without the battery.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trekkie
interesting. Any idea why the Highlander is totally different? It has a regular battery up front. Is that the older design?
It still might not be a "regular" (starting) battery. My guess is that it is a flooded (liquid electrolyte) deep-cycle battery.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Enthusiast

I think you guys missed hiswhole question. He can't find the battery that resemebles a regular one. ITS IN THE TRUNK ON THE RIGHT BEHIND A PANEL. Although the info you guys are giving is helpful to know I think he just wanted to know where it was. But I have been wrong before so please excuse me if I am.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by CrashFireCamry
I think you guys missed hiswhole question. He can't find the battery that resemebles a regular one. ITS IN THE TRUNK ON THE RIGHT BEHIND A PANEL. Although the info you guys are giving is helpful to know I think he just wanted to know where it was. But I have been wrong before so please excuse me if I am.
tnsig's response (#2 below) was:

The 'car battery' is located in the trunk. If you look in the trunk on the right side you will notice a black plastic cover.

That pretty much covered it. Didn't it?