Considering TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering TCH

Hi All,

Just read the post by "Enthusiast" on the "Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed...." thread...

Billy's TCH wooes scares me... I am considering to buy a TCH and his list doesn't seem appitizing. Other TCH owners, is it a thumbs up to buy a TCH? How does the TCH perform a hilly roads? Does the engine give a decent pick up? Although the TCH marks the machine at 187 hp it says it is Net System... something that I haven't seen before on regular cars.... so does it give 187 hp or less? Would the engine cry if I were to drive it on a hilly road?

Tara

Old 08-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering TCH

Other TCH owners, is it a thumbs up to buy a TCH? How does the TCH perform a hilly roads? Does the engine give a decent pick up? Although the TCH marks the machine at 187 hp it says it is Net System... something that I haven't seen before on regular cars.... so does it give 187 hp or less? Would the engine cry if I were to drive it on a hilly road?

Tara

Old 08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering TCH

Other TCH owners, is it a thumbs up to buy a TCH? Two Thumbs, way up.

How does the TCH perform a hilly roads? Well, bearing in mind that I live in CT, not CO, I have had no problems with any of the hills around here, including the hill that goes up after the the West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway. This stretch of road was agonizing for my husband's parents' '70's era diesel VW Rabbits (I am told), and not exactly a joy in my '86 Nova either. My Corolla didn't have a lot of trouble with it, but I wasn't exactly flying up the hill either. In the TCH it's pretty effortless.

Does the engine give a decent pick up? Yes, IMO, and I would justify that with the fact that my husband is not at all disappointed and he is accustomed to driving a TDI Jetta.

Although the TCH marks the machine at 187 hp it says it is Net System... something that I haven't seen before on regular cars.... so does it give 187 hp or less?
Would the engine cry if I were to drive it on a hilly road? I believe that the TCH has plenty of hp and plenty of torque.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
WVGasGuy

Other TCH owners, is it a thumbs up to buy a TCH?
1 posting out of about 16,000 cars sold, you figure.

How does the TCH perform a hilly roads?
I'm averaging 38.9 mpg in Central WV. More than adequate power, but if you use it (the power) a lot in the hills don't expect 39 mpg.

Does the engine give a decent pick up?
Compared to any "family" sedan it's as good as any.

Although the TCH marks the machine at 187 hp it says it is Net System... something that I haven't seen before on regular cars.... so does it give 187 hp or less?
It's not a regular car. All you have to know with "NET SYSTEM" is that there is 187 hp available. Doesn't matter what makes it happen

Would the engine cry if I were to drive it on a hilly road?
I've never heard mine cry. Haven't even heard it complain.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

With respect to the post you quoted, I have read it, and it is VERY unlike the experience I'm having with my vehicle.

It sounds like his vehicle doesn't have the mic plugged in, which eliminates 2 of his issues, with respect to glass he mentions, mine is crystal clear and as for the rear vent or front vent whistling, I keep mine open and don't plan to close the rear vent, so that will not be an issue for me at least. With respect to noises and soundproofing, this thing rivals my recently sold vehicle. With the stereo off, there is minimal road noise if any, and other than a virtually imperceptible spin up of the recharging system as the vehicle slows, I hear nothing that I don't want to hear.

To answer the questions you pose, I guess I would ask a few questions of you first:

1. Re: hills: Where do you live? Do you drive regularly on hills that make most cars chug up them @ 40mph? Paint a picture for us of what your normal driving routes include hillswise.

2. What kind of ride are you currently in?

3. What are the top 5 things you are looking for in a vehicle?

4. What is making you look at the Camry?

With the extent of my experience so far, I give the vehicle a HUGE THUMBS UP. I live in Arizona and very frequently drive to northern parts of the state...we have MOUNTAINS, not hills, and can climb 6100 ft elevation in 60 miles. The Camry does fine. Again, no rocketship, but I am coming from a 2005 5 series BMW and although the fit and finish of the Toyota is a notch under that vehicle, I'm extremely happy with this purchase, and not lacking for power.

The a/c throws nice cold air, even in Phoenix temperatures, the stereo is EXCEPTIONALLY good for a factory system, it has integrated bluetooth which is indispensable once you've used it and gets some SERIOUS mpgs.

Last edited by Eskimonio; 08-20-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I drive a HCH and some TCH drivers think I might be anti-TCH. After reading this you can tell me if you think I'm anti-TCH.

Of all the hybrids I think the TCH would be the best for customers that don't want to give anything up compared to a normal car. I love my HCH but it is just a bit under powered for some tastes at 93 hp. The TCH's 187 hp should be plenty for all but the worst lead foot types

BTW the gas engine in a TCH is putting out 147 hp by itself. The electric motor adds hp and torque for a combined rating of 187hp for both together.

I'm 99.9% sure the TCH can handle any job a normal car could do and it will get good mileage to boot.

The closest thing the TCH has to a down side is that the smaller hybrids get better mileage. Please check the database to see the mileage you can reasonably expect with a TCH.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

Looks like 36-37mpg is about normal. Do not expect to do better than this unless you are willing to use hypermile techniques. If you think 36-37 is good and you like the non-hybrid Camry you should LOVE the TCH.

With any other hybrid I'd need to point out some drawbacks but the TCH has basically none if you are in the market for such a car.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:09 PM

My last 3 cars were 200-268hp V6 engines (I30, I35, Acura TL) and while the TCH is not going to give thema run for the money it does very well. It is a tad slow off the line, but once the ICE and HSD are working togther the car moves. I find it a nice compromise between a I4 and V6. I have not been on a lot of moutain driving yet, but my area of ATL is hilly and the car does fine. I have no reservations about switching from a 06 TL to a TCH, the TL got 21MPG and required Premium the TCH is getting 34-35 MPG and uses Regular. The JBL kicks ***. My few pet peeves are the horrible dash lighting, too bright at night and too dim during day unless I keep adjusting it. Teh fit/finish seems a bit loose, many of the panels, trim etc, seem they coudl be much more snuggly fit/assembled. The car has a rather limp body, torsion ridgidity not as good as my last few cars. And finally the non-NAV radio controls/display are pitiful crap, LCD display looks like cheap crap. My goal right now is to drive my 07 TCH until March 08 and if I still love the car then I will get a 08 TCH loaded. Oh and avoid Port/distributor leather the SE Toyota Port leather is crap!

Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 PM

When you need it, the TCH will deliver. It will let you know through a fairly loud engine, but if you need the power, it's there. Your fuel effeciency will be less than stellar. If you call upon the power occasionally, go for the TCH. If jack rabbit starts, two wheeled corners, and skidding stops are what you are looking for, go with a traditional car.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Considering TCH

Originally Posted by hifihybrid
Hi All,

Just read the post by "Enthusiast" on the "Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed...." thread...

Billy's TCH wooes scares me... I am considering to buy a TCH and his list doesn't seem appitizing. Other TCH owners, is it a thumbs up to buy a TCH? How does the TCH perform a hilly roads? Does the engine give a decent pick up? Although the TCH marks the machine at 187 hp it says it is Net System... something that I haven't seen before on regular cars.... so does it give 187 hp or less? Would the engine cry if I were to drive it on a hilly road?

Tara
If you look at other posts on GreenHybrid, you will see that Billy's TCH is not typical. I am very satisfied with my TCH and recommend it to others. Acceleration is fine. Not as good as my Turbo-charged Supra but still more than acceptable. Hills have not been a problem.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Eventhough I don't own the car, I still recommend it to family & friends who are looking at a new car. The 187hp is more than enough for most of the time. If you live in the city with hilly roads, this is definitely the car to get. It really sucks to be stuck in traffic on a hill or whatever & it kills FE. If we had the funds, we would get a TCH to complement our HAH.

Quick Reply: Considering TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands