In-cabin air filter - can't get glovebox to drop

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default In-cabin air filter - can't get glovebox to drop

I am trying get access to the in-cabin airfilter to be able to check and replace.

THe instructions are very clear.

But....when I try to get the glovebox to drop, I can't. I squeeze the sides together, but cannht get the nubs/pegs to clear the opening.

I am applying a lot of pressure, and don't want to break the glovebox. The box is giving, but not enough to clear the space.

Any thoughts on this? Is there an easy trick to this?

I've done this in sevral other cars (not Camrys) without any issue.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:35 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member
Default Re: In-cabin air filter - can't get glovebox to drop

I had the same trouble as you. Took me just a tad more pressure and then nubs cleared without a scratch. I rembered that I not only squeezed inward on the glovebox itself but also nudge outward the frame outside of the glovebox.

Last edited by bugs; 04-11-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmm, sounds like too much work. I just push down gently on the rear of the open glove box as I reach over it and squeeze/pull the tabs of the cabin air filter cover. I then use a finger to wiggle the filter out enough to grasp it and slide it out over the back edge of the glove box. Below is a picture I took showing the view over the back edge of the glove box of the cabin air filter cover. The red circles show the tabs used to remove the cover.

Here is the filter housing with the filter removed. Often I find some leaves logged in the housing.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

You don't need to drop the glovebox. If your hands are too big, use a a couple of flat head screwdrivers.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Electricity Guzzler

It is a pain to change. This helps though. I use needlenose pliers to push in and pull out on the tabs. and.... on the right side of the glove box after opening it, there's a little "shock absorber". This allows the glove box to open slowly and not flop down on your passengers lap. You can unhook this. Just pull out on the rubber ring at the bottom. This will give you almost an extra inch of clearance to access the filter. It's not much and should have be designed to allow greater clearance but it will help.