Buying the TCH in this economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Question Buying the TCH in this economy

Does anyone know if it is easier to buy a hybrid in this economic climate where people are having a tough time getting lending.

I negotiated the price down to about 6% above invoice which I thought was good. Do you think I would be able to negotiate lower if I went through my own lender and was able to give them cash?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying the TCH in this economy

My guess is the dealers are going to be sucking wind within the next few months and will be willing to deal with anyone who can 'fog a mirror'.
Only my opinion, but if you can wait it out, I'd say prices will only get better.
We are in a very severe recession and in recessions, people don't spend money (again IMHO).
As to cash, many dealers aren't leasing so in all likelihood you will have to get your own financing (or so I am lead to beleive).
In any event, wait....

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Would I be able to get a price if I was able to pay in full? I know i would right now with other cars because no one can get a loan, but would it help in the Hybrid Market.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Only a dealer can answer that question...

Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

Yep or someone who has had success putting down cash on a TCH recently.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Maybe, but every deal is different. Someone might save $500 more by paying cash...without realizing he had a higher starting point. Someone else might have had a great starting price and the dealer wouldn't budge.
It's like asking which 'pickup line' is the best. Got to do your own field work to know for sure!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Certainly with MSRP and Invoice one can get a good idea of what kind of deal they got on the car. That is what I'm asking for. Are dealers willing to budge and make the price closer to the invoice based on the current economy and the lack of cash flowing in their dircetion. Certainly they are desperate with regular cars, but with Hybrids it would be much more difficult.

Doing field work would be difficult because dealers are slimy. The only way I would be able to figure out would be after I made the deal. I would like to know before going in.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Cash is King! I paid cash for my TCH but I don't believe it helped me get a better deal. Most dealers make money on the assignment of the financing - assuming they can get someone to assign it to in this economy. A typical dealer will only make about $500.00 on a cash deal but will make about $2,500.00 on a financed deal (purchase) and even more on a fleece, er, I mean lease (sorry, stole that from Dave Ramsey).

Hope this helps.

Ron

Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah that's great, thank you! Does the dealer make that money or the lender?

You make great points and they counter what I have always heard which is that "cash is king" when buying cars, but I have to rethink.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm getting my 09 for just over invoice. There was no pressure for cash vs dealer's finance vs my own finance.

Quick Reply: Buying the TCH in this economy

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands