Backup Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Backup Sensors

I recently got Reverse parking sensors installed. One day I was browsing the net and ended up on Toyota.ca (Canada's) website I saw they have a factory option of backup sensors trademarked ParkPilot. I contacted Rostra, they are indeed the makers and provide Toyota with the color matched sensors. Locally I could only find black or clear. The company was great. I called Charles at Rostra 800-782-3379, he got me in touch with the East Coast Rep Eddie 203-915-0049 (please only call him if on East Coast, otherwise call Charles), who successfully matched the color code. Unfortunately the local installer was over 1 hour away. I provided a local shop who was willing to purchase the parts from Rostra and do the install.

The install was 350 plus tax, 100 more then if I went with black or clear, I did not want to look after market. One suggestion I have that is not what the directions say, have the speaker installed on the drivers kick panel as I did. There is a low, high and off switch. If installed as suggested, it would be hidden inside of trim panel and inaccessible, you can not see it unless you are looking for it on the kick panel near the emergency break.

A side note, because this is an aftermarket product and is wired and activated, each time you shift into reverse it gives a double beep to let you know it is working. This system seems to be a little bit more sensitive then the factory 2004 Sienna's system.

Picture attached as PDF

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sensors.pdf (38.6 KB, 401 views)
Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Backup Sensors

Looks good. Thanks for the write up. There are a couple of people on this board that had color matched back-up sensors added to their TCH.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouBeck
I recently got Reverse parking sensors installed. One day I was browsing the net and ended up on Toyota.ca (Canada's) website I saw they have a factory option of backup sensors trademarked ParkPilot. I contacted Rostra, they are indeed the makers and provide Toyota with the color matched sensors. Locally I could only find black or clear. The company was great. I called Charles at Rostra 800-782-3379, he got me in touch with the East Coast Rep Eddie 203-915-0049 (please only call him if on East Coast, otherwise call Charles), who successfully matched the color code. Unfortunately the local installer was over 1 hour away. I provided a local shop who was willing to purchase the parts from Rostra and do the install.

The install was 350 plus tax, 100 more then if I went with black or clear, I did not want to look after market. One suggestion I have that is not what the directions say, have the speaker installed on the drivers kick panel as I did. There is a low, high and off switch. If installed as suggested, it would be hidden inside of trim panel and inaccessible, you can not see it unless you are looking for it on the kick panel near the emergency break.

A side note, because this is an aftermarket product and is wired and activated, each time you shift into reverse it gives a double beep to let you know it is working. This system seems to be a little bit more sensitive then the factory 2004 Sienna's system.

Picture attached as PDF
I recently had ParkPilot installed, as well. My experience was a little different than yours. According to my Southeast Toyota (SET) dealer, Park Pilot was available for the TCH. However, when they attempted installation, the SET instructions said that the kit could not be installed on a hybrid. Citing liability concerns, my dealer refused to do the installation. I ended up buying the ParkPilot parts from my dealer (at wholesale) and having them installed by a local auto stereo/alarm dealer. My experience is detailed in the following thread.

https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=111827

The aftermarket and Toyota versions of ParkPilot both use the same control module, piezo speaker and sensors. The Toyota version has a modified power cable that includes an integrated relay and an 'off' button. The 'off' button is a momentary switch that silences an alarm until the next time you shift into reverse. I had my speaker installed behind the driver's kick panel (as specified by the instructions) and had the 'off' button mounted on the kick panel.

Charles at Rostra helped me find colored sensors, as well. He is their Director of International Sales, Fleet & Automotive Accessories.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

I just installed a backup sensor kit from www.sensortech.com. It is a radar type device that requires no drilling holes for sensors into the bumper. Relatively easy to install. They give you heavy duty velcro straps. I did not have to remove the bumper. There is just enough access to slide your hand up behind the bumper and over the steel guard to install the device. I removed two of the clip pins holding the bumper underneath to give me a little more room for my hands. A tip for removing these pins - put your finger on the washer piece on the outer ridge and pry the center pin up with a flat blade screwdriver. Do not try to pry up under the plastic washer as they will break. Make sure the center pin is still popped out when re-inserting. The device is about 2 inches by 4 inches. You attach the velcro to the inside back of the plastic bumper (above the steel guard) and the other piece to the device. Wiggle it into position. The wiring is simple, finding the access hole took some time -there is one on the driver side and you will need to remove the back panel (in the trunk) to get at it, but it's only held on by two screws and some plastic tags. Once the wires are through you connect to the backup light - easy too - they are up under the trunk hood - red wire positive - white wire negative. The kit includes a small indicator light which also sounds the beeper. I installed it inside one of the air slots (vent for the battery pack) and routed the wire under the rear deck panel and into the trunk. This way, I can see it in my rear view mirror. So far, so good, very sensitive to movement (i.e., a child, or something). The only drawback was the price - 300 bucks. Hopefully it was worth it, will let you know.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm glad I tripped across this thread, since I've been bugged about the poor rear visibility on these cars. I've toyed with the idea of a rear view camera tied into a navigation system, but I don't know how well that would work (if I have to turn on the car and sit there for a minute waiting for the nav to boot up, just so you can see the video display out the back...I don't think I have the patience).
How well do these work?
Now that you have it, are they a 'must have can't live without' type of a toy?
How accurate are they? What distance from an object do they give their most severe warning (what ever that is)?
Thanks!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

I also installed a backup camera about a month ago. It takes about 2 seconds for the Nav screen to display and it does give a good field of view and image. However, with your eyes already going all over the place backing out, I felt that the audible sensor would give an added edge of safety. For me, it's a 'must have' as I also installed one when I got my 2001 Sienna. These things should be standard equipment in all cars, and probably will be some day. Having it operational for only a day, it starts to beep, beep, beep, at about 5 feet from an object. It gets more frequent as you get closer to the object until it is just a steady beep. There is also indicator lights that flash yellow then a steady red. On my Sienna, it is a voice: 'Five Feet' 'Three Feet' 'Warning 1 Foot' then a steady beep.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by jeffgl21
I just installed a backup sensor kit from www.sensortech.com ...
all I see is water detection sensors??
Originally Posted by jeffgl21
... For me, it's a 'must have' ...
Thanks! Is it ever...wrong? Does it miss things? Does it give false positives, that is, does it beep for the curb as you are parallel parking, even though the car (not the tires) can't hit it? Are there any 'negatives' with respect to the sensor?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'm glad I tripped across this thread, since I've been bugged about the poor rear visibility on these cars. I've toyed with the idea of a rear view camera tied into a navigation system, but I don't know how well that would work (if I have to turn on the car and sit there for a minute waiting for the nav to boot up, just so you can see the video display out the back...I don't think I have the patience).
How well do these work?
Now that you have it, are they a 'must have can't live without' type of a toy?
How accurate are they? What distance from an object do they give their most severe warning (what ever that is)?
Thanks!
I had ParkPilot installed on my '07 TCH back in Dec '06.

Responses to your questions: Must have to live OR just a toy? Very nice.

Accuracy: (on my ParkPilot purchased and installed in '06) -- NMMV (newer models may vary)

There are "3 zones":
Zone 1: 3 -> 5 feet, slow beeping sound
Zone 2: 1.5 -> 3 feet, faster beeping sound
Zone 3: 0 -> 1.5 feet, continuous tone

Problems/limitations/recommendations:

1) Since this registers distance to an obstruction, cannot use it to tell distance to painted parking space lines like a camera could. Can you say "DUH"?
2) My ParkPilot gives several false alarms. Believe this is due to mounting of the sensors and due to TCH's rear bumper shape (back of bumper slanting down), the system alerting on the pavement. IMHO, I prefer false alarms than not alerting when it should.
3) There is a small "Radio Shack" type/quality momentary contact black button to disable the alarm (in case you are towing a trailer or carrying something that is blocking one of the sensors). W/O disable switch, you would have alarm everytime you went into reverse (a-la Prius's back-up buzzer). My installer put this UGLY, black cheap switch on the center console just between the gear shift and center arm rest. YUCH. Have them put switch in a less visible area.

Overall, I prefer the ParkPilot over the camera. I am "old school" and prefer to keep my head on a swivel when I back-up, looking for incoming & crossing objects, rather than just looking forward at the MFD when parking.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

My apologies it's www.sensetech.com. You can order it through Sears or them. I decided to order through the Sears website. Can't vouch for this one yet, too new. But with the one on my Sienna, I can't recall it ever giving any false alarms. For that one I mounted the sensors under the bumper. They sometimes get bumped when I go through the car wash, but as they are on a hinge, I just re-align them. They've been on for almost 8 years and have never given me a problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Okay, I think I'm sold on it.
Will they be able to match Toyota colors? I have Mag Gray.
I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get 'the best', so which is considered the best?

Quick Reply: Backup Sensors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands