Backup "key" when on a trip??? HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Backup "key" when on a trip??? HOW DO YOU DO IT?

When away from home on a trip I'd always carry a spare key in a different pocket than the one I usually use. When my wife was on the trip she'd also have a key with her.

That was in the days of plain "old fashioned" keys or keys with a chip in it and before the push button start with fob of my 2009 TCH which I've had about a month.

We were on a trip this weekend and before we left I thought about what might happen if I lost the "fob" in some way.

This is what I decided to try:

I removed the small key from the second fob and put it in my coin purse in a different pocket than where I carry the fob.

I wrapped the spare fob in aluminum foil and put it in the compartment in the arm rest between the front seats.

I then tried this "lost fob" plan leaving my fob well away from the car.

I used the coin purse small key to open the driver's door. Then removed the fob in the arm rest compartment and took off the foil and started the car normally.

I'd like to know what your plan is for a possible lost fob while away from home where I otherwise keep the second key fob? There may be a much better method that I've not thought of.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Backup "key" when on a trip??? HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Just pull the battery out of the second 'fob' and tape it to the outside and place in the glovebox. Put the emergency key on another keychain in your pocket and you are ready to go.

The aluminum foil only works on your head when the government tries to read your thoughts....

Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The aluminum foil only works on your head when the government tries to read your thoughts....
A clever reply but I believe you to be wrong. The aluminum foil does shield the fob and make it ineffective.

So is that the way you do it taking the battery out or are you just being "clever." Seems like more work than is needed to me.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey! Don't tell anyone about the aluminum foil; that is secret!

Seriously, anyone thought of giving the extra key to your wife/husband to carry?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 09Camry20
A clever reply but I believe you to be wrong. The aluminum foil does shield the fob and make it ineffective.

So is that the way you do it taking the battery out or are you just being "clever." Seems like more work than is needed to me.
The fob will still be transmiting (and using the battery) If you are only using one fob, why not pull the battery on the spare? That way if you need it, you will have one that works instead of getting a low battery message.

Have you tested the foil by placing the battery in the center console and leaving your main fob outside to see if the car will crank?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe
Seriously, anyone thought of giving the extra key to your wife/husband to carry?
Giving one to my wife assures that it will be lost... She can't even keep track of the keys for her own car!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Have you tested the foil by placing the battery in the center console and leaving your main fob outside to see if the car will crank?
Absolutely first thing I did and it is not "seen" by the car when it's there and wrapped in foil.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just pull the battery out of the second 'fob' and tape it to the outside and place in the glovebox. Put the emergency key on another keychain in your pocket and you are ready to go.

This is what I do, except I just throw the loose battery in the glovebox. (Good luck finding it!)

( Suggestion: I also made sure I could start the car by holding the FOB up to the start button, just in case the FOB battery died.)