Am I being ripped off by my dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Am I being ripped off by my dealership?

I took my 07 TCH to my Toyota dealership today for 8 month/10k mile service, including oil change. The price on the brochure for this service was $89.95. I told the service guy that I purchased my own oil. He told me the discount for purchasing my own oil would only be $8. So my price was still around $80. I *feel* ripped off, but this is my first car and I prefer to use the dealership rather than a random car shop that I'm not familiar with. Should I have gotten a larger discount for purchasing my own oil?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Am I being ripped off by my dealership?

Would you get a discount if you handed the diner two eggs and a piece of cheese and asked them to make an omelet?
Their price is the price.
You learned a lesson...ask for the price before the transaction, rather than after.
A valuable, albeit somewhat costly, one.
Most private garages would charge a lot less, (and discount more if you brought your own) but that is the cost for 'piece of mind' that the dealer's service center provides, even though when it comes to changing oil, the local garage could do the job as well.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-08-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
I took my 07 TCH to my Toyota dealership today for 8 month/10k mile service, including oil change. The price on the brochure for this service was $89.95. I told the service guy that I purchased my own oil. He told me the discount for purchasing my own oil would only be $8. So my price was still around $80. I *feel* ripped off, but this is my first car and I prefer to use the dealership rather than a random car shop that I'm not familiar with. Should I have gotten a larger discount for purchasing my own oil?
The local Valvoline only discounts a few dollars is you bring your own oil...maybe $5. The total for that was about $25 - 30.

My dealership charged $24.95 for a tire rotation, a local shop charges $12. My dealershiop does send out coupons for oil changes from time to time. They claims the change is $25 but it is probably more for synthetic.

From other posts on this forum, it seems like people have had the dealership charge about $50 on average for the oil change. So $80 is not far off for the oil change and tire rotation.

But, to answer your question, did you get ripped off? Honestly, if you go to a dealership for anything you get ripped off. I would take it to a local shop next time. Assuming you feel comfortable. Otherwise, you could change it yourself.

Sorry to hear you paid so much. If it makes you feel any better I pay about $40 to do it myself because Mobile 1 0W-20 is about $5.50 a quart and the filter is another $5 or so bucks. I know I could get it cheaper but this way I know I got what I wanted and it was done right.

Mike

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

What, if any, steps must be taken regarding keeping the maintenance schedule honored when taking the vehicle for service, ie. oil change and tire rotation at someplace other than a dealer? I don't need to give them any ammunition concerning my extended warranty in the future as it costed too much to be voided just to save some money in the short term.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by imagrn1
What, if any, steps must be taken regarding keeping the maintenance schedule honored when taking the vehicle for service, ie. oil change and tire rotation at someplace other than a dealer? I don't need to give them any ammunition concerning my extended warranty in the future as it costed too much to be voided just to save some money in the short term.
Keep your receipts. Verify each shows the date. Personally I then staple them together and write the service interval on them.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 AM

A mistaken belief (and I've heard it a few times outside of this forum) is that you need to take it to the dealer for service "or it will void the warranty". That's not true, although the dealers would love to have you believe it.
Neglect and misuse voids warranties. Service records can disprove neglect.
Dealer service centers are good for warranty work, but in almost every case, they charge far more than comparable service centers for the same work, they will suggest more frequent service than the manufacturer suggests and will offer service when none is needed.
Yet many go there because they think "the dealer mechanics know the car better" or "they get special training".
That might be true, but after you've done a few hundred oil changes, I imagine there isn't a whole lot of difference between the knowledge of the dealer mechanic and the guy a half a mile away at a local garage or oil change center. Of course, with a hybrid, you should ask the garage if they are familiar with hybrids and if they've done them before.
Too many people take the warm and fuzzy feeling they get from the vehicle itself (and the manufacturer, Toyota) and impose it on the dealer's service center. That is wrong. They are not the same. Dealer service is a very profitable business for the owner of the dealership. The center is not Toyota, it is not a Camry, it is a garage with mechanics, just like the others.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-09-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
Bringing your own oil is foolish to me. It really won't make a difference in the engine life /performance (I went through the whole synth vs dino vs blend years ago...bottom line, if you change the oil regularly, it does not matter.

Just tell the the weight you want.

That price is pretty typical for that service. Basically if you are buying a TCH, and want dealer service, service over 100K miles will run you about $3,200-3,800 (on the high end), depending on where you live.

So if you throw a nickel in the change box for every mile you drive, you're all set. If you want to add fuel to that equation, it's 15 cents a mile (includes fuel at $4/gallon, avg 35mpg, and all maintenance at dealer). (again, a high estimate)

I starting "paying" my car everytime I drive, and then I am never suprised/concerned about costs. Taking a little bit each day is easier on the psyche that the lump sums.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

I believe $80 is nothing short of robbery. There ya go, the answer you know you could expect from bugs. In short, unless you are very weak or just don't want to mess with changing your oil, it actually can be very cheap and easy to change your own oil.

My first goal was to set out and by the best oil I could and shoot for a synthetic full brand 0w-20 or 5w-20. I did that by buying Quaker State Q-Torque for $95 cents a bottle. That deal is gone but I picked up about 100,000 miles worth. You don't even need to get a jack to change the oil
and filter. Everything can be reach from the front of the car. I will average a total of $8.97 including the tax to change my oil/filter.

I keep my receipts showing my filter purchases and when I changed the oil/mileage.

Advantages:

1. No one but me will ever put an oil stain in my car.
2. I'm sure what brand goes in it.
3. 5 quarts go in...and that is certain.
4. No waiting in line or lost work time.
5. I can teach my older son how to change his oil.
6. Save a ton of money by doing it myself over the life of the car.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by bugs; 04-09-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by mikecism
Bringing your own oil is foolish to me. It really won't make a difference in the engine life /performance (I went through the whole synth vs dino vs blend years ago...bottom line, if you change the oil regularly, it does not matter.

Just tell the the weight you want.

That price is pretty typical for that service. Basically if you are buying a TCH, and want dealer service, service over 100K miles will run you about $3,200-3,800 (on the high end), depending on where you live.

So if you throw a nickel in the change box for every mile you drive, you're all set. If you want to add fuel to that equation, it's 15 cents a mile (includes fuel at $4/gallon, avg 35mpg, and all maintenance at dealer). (again, a high estimate)

I starting "paying" my car everytime I drive, and then I am never suprised/concerned about costs. Taking a little bit each day is easier on the psyche that the lump sums.
Only problem with the above statements is that many places including the dealer don't carry the weight oil that people want. The dealership I bought my car from doesn't carry the 0w20. None of the local oil change places do either.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bugs
I believe $80 is nothing short of robbery. There ya go, the answer you know you could expect from bugs. In short, unless you are very weak or just don't want to mess with changing your oil, it actually can be very cheap and easy to change your own oil.

My first goal was to set out and by the best oil I could and shoot for a synthetic full brand 0w-20 or 5w-20. I did that by buying Quaker State Q-Torque for $95 cents a bottle. That deal is gone but I picked up about 100,000 miles worth. You don't even need to get a jack to change the oil
and filter. Everything can be reach from the front of the car. I will average a total of $8.97 including the tax to change my oil/filter.

I keep my receipts showing my filter purchases and when I changed the oil/mileage.

Advantages:

1. No one but me will ever put an oil stain in my car.
2. I'm sure what brand goes in it.
3. 5 quarts go in...and that is certain.
4. No waiting in line or lost work time.
5. I can teach my older son how to change his oil.
6. Save a ton of money by doing it myself over the life of the car.

I hope this answers your question.
It's all a matter of time and how you value it. $80 is for the oil change, rotation, other fluid, checking the brakes, and code check.

I can get this all done in about 60-90 minutes, if I make an appt. I can sit in the cush dealer lounge, use their wi-fi, drink their tea and coffee, and do other things.)

Although I keep the records, the dealer has the history as well. Less for me to track.

As for your concerns, the dealer should carry whatever the manual recommends. If they don't, tell them to get it (talk to service manager). If they stain or damage your car, they make it right.

You are not saving a ton of money; maybe $400 over 7 years or 100K. (That is not a ton to me)

Again, it all depends on what you want. I'm all for DIY, I just find my time is more valuable when looked upon as a whole.

Quick Reply: Am I being ripped off by my dealership?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands