Aftermarket radio w/JBL Non Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket radio w/JBL Non Nav

I am interested in getting an aftermarket radio, preferably double din GPS enabled system. I have an '09 TCH Non-Nav w/JBL Radio. I have looked at Crutchfields site and they say that nothing is compatible with the TCH. I know that the radios will fit into the slot that is available, I have verified with actual measurements of most standard DD Radios.

My concerns is that the JBL system might be causing a problem as well as the hybrid, although I am not sure.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket radio with the JBL system in place? If so, what did you do, what system was it, who did the install.

I have looked over the forum and didn't really get the answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by _Dante_; 10-13-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling, content
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Hawaiian
Default Re: Aftermarket radio w/JBL Non Nav

Kenwoods double din 8120 fits I have it in my 09. if the 8120 is not avail you can get the 812 and upgrade the nav and its the same thing. Garmin makes the nav and its touch screen and I love mine. any more ??? leme know

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Riddler,

Just a couple ?s for you.

1. Did you have the JBL radio?

2. Were there any special connections/harnesses that needed to be made/purchased?

3. What other hardware came with the radio that needed to be installed?

4. Are you able to use the NAV while driving, ie. my wife wanting to enter address while I am driving

5. If not, were you able to defeat it in anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Hawaiian

1) yes
2)yes it cost 14 dollars and is avail at any shop. you can get it where you buy your head unit.
3)need a face plate adaptor
4) yes its easy wen you install to make it work when you are driving

Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info so far.

One last question (I think...)

I chatted with the crutchfield advisors today about why there are supposedly no compatible radios. They claim that there are essential hybrid communications going on with the radio, even non-nav versions.

Did you lose any of the features of the MFD in speedo??

Thanks

Old 10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Hawaiian

ok on the the JBL without the Nav, you dont have your speedo displayed through your stereo. The only thing I lost was the blue tooth phone button. I have hands free phone, but the button on the steering wheel doesn't work. My steering wheel controls work, it cost about 150 for this feature, but it isnt necessary, I just rather use my steering wheel controls. the Ipod control is unmatched by any other head unit I ever had. I really love this head unit, and believe me I am the most **** audiophile you will ever meet. I have worked in car audio for over 20 years. Now Im just a social worker who loves good sounds and quality in my car

Old 10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Hawaiian

ps the gps gives you corrected MPH and all the regular stuff Garmin offers Traffic, food, gas etc

Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

i love good sounds and bass to make cats kick i was wondering if it's ok to install amps and woofers to an 09 Camry hybrid? and do u recommend anywhere good to have it done i stay in orange county California....

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

Riddler-
What about the 09 Cam Hybrid with Nav? Can't I switch this out with a double din such as the Kenwood Excelon DNX9140? Will this affect the Hybrid system or the engine???

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

I am told yes, other than loosing the functionality of the visual views for the Hybrid System. I do have an amp and sub in the car (both Memphis Audio) with no problems.