After starting the Synergy system

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Question After starting the Synergy system

When my wife starts her car in the garage, about 15 seconds later the ICE starts, it runs for about one minute and then shuts off. Has anyone else noticed this and why does it do it. The car doesn’t need power at this time since it’s not moving and the battery is charged. Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2006, 05:26 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: After starting the Synergy system

Originally Posted by David Price
When my wife starts her car in the garage, about 15 seconds later the ICE starts, it runs for about one minute and then shuts off. Has anyone else noticed this and why does it do it. The car doesn’t need power at this time since it’s not moving and the battery is charged. Any ideas?
One reason is to heat up the catalytic converter for normal driving.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Yes mine also does this, I figure it is to warm engine a bit before use. sk

Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Whenever the car is "started", it ALWAYS starts the ICE (typically 7 seconds after you push the button). If the state of charge is satisfactory, it will shut off the ICE and it won't restart until it is needed.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Jeff, thanks for the excellant explanation. SK

Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
HSD Organic Interface

And actually, contrary to what might seem common sense, this engine warm up period where the ICE runs regardless can actually yield really good FE. The HSD will try to let the engine idle to warm up and drive the car mostly from battery. I used to hate the fact that the ICE always ran for a minute or two, now I see it as an opportunity for a minute or two of high FE if I'm nice to the pedal.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have mentioned it before, but the engine coolant temperature gauge on my car reaches its "normal" value within about 2 miles of leaving my house (on a 55mph road). VERY fast warmup with this car. I don't know if the Catalytic converter is warming up this fast though...

Old 09-08-2006, 06:21 AM
WVGasGuy

I do notice though that during this "start up"period I usually lose anywhere from 0.1 to 0.2 mpg on my tank average. I live on a large hill and also lose that amount as I go to my garage after every trip I make. A little is gained back as I coast down the hill but since it is in start up mode and the ICE is running most of the way down the hill I don't pick it all back up.

I envy you folks who don't live on a hill

Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
Whenever the car is "started", it ALWAYS starts the ICE (typically 7 seconds after you push the button). If the state of charge is satisfactory, it will shut off the ICE and it won't restart until it is needed.
I wondered why my ice came on every time I start the hybrid, cold or fully warmed up. Seems very logical,,,,is this info actually listed in our manual? page#? Thank you.

Quick Reply: After starting the Synergy system

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands