900 pound weight limit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 900 pound weight limit

Anybody give any thought to the 900 pound weight limit for passengers & cargo with the TCH? (I think the standard Camry is 1100.) This means that 5 180 pound men can ride together, but only if they have no luggage. Frankly, the way people eat in this country, it's not overly difficult to get very close to 900 pounds with 5 adults. Just curious if anybody has gone much over 900 and "lived to tell the tale".

Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 900 pound weight limit

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Anybody give any thought to the 900 pound weight limit for passengers & cargo with the TCH? (I think the standard Camry is 1100.) This means that 5 180 pound men can ride together, but only if they have no luggage. Frankly, the way people eat in this country, it's not overly difficult to get very close to 900 pounds with 5 adults. Just curious if anybody has gone much over 900 and "lived to tell the tale".
With my best estimate, I have gone about 780 pounds with people and luggage.

Those "prescribed limits" are just educated guesses by the engineers, not definitive, actual "limitations."

They are required for legal reasons to assign a number. But that number does not necessarily mean that exceeding it does any damage or voids a warranty (as if they could ever prove anything anyway) nor does it mean that when the load hits 901 pounds the engine shuts down and Toyota is paged. (I crack myself up.)

Personally, unless you are using the TCH to haul 25 loads of bedrock in the trunk on a daily basis, I'm pretty sure you can ignore that 900 pound number.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Best to hang out with skinny people who don't have much luggage. (trunk space) kiddin!!

Is wise to not exceed recommended carrying weight. Could have adverse effect in an emergency manuver. (rollover, stopping fast when needed, many more to be added here)

Tom

Old 04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
This means that 5 180 pound men can ride together, but only if they have no luggage. Frankly, the way people eat in this country, it's not overly difficult to get very close to 900 pounds with 5 adults. Just curious if anybody has gone much over 900 and "lived to tell the tale".
I'm fairly small and there is no way I would want to be any of the three people in the back seat if there were five in the vehicle.

The Camry may be listed as a five passenger vehicle but for all practical purposes it is four adults. You might put three kids in the back comfortably but not adults.

So four adults and 180 lbs of baggage would be a much more reasonable expectation.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

I can't speak to the Camry on this one, but my 2004 Acura TL (turned in for a Jeep which was then turned in for my TCH) had a 1000 pound weight limit which I exceeded regularly. I would drive myself and my three friends around (all of us tip over 250) along with a trunk full of emergency gear, and I never had an issue due to the weight OTHER than finding that if I parked over a curb or parking bumper while driving alone, having the four of us in the car when I backed out would cause the TL's ground effects to scrape along the top of the curb. (This became a never-ending source of amusement for my friends.)

I imagine it might be a similar thing in the Camry, but the TCH has a higher ground clearance to begin with, so you'd probably be okay.