70 mile trip, 56.7 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 70 mile trip, 56.7 mpg

I can't remember what I've seen other people post about the great results of some of their trips, but this one impressed me. Okay technically I got the 56.7 after filling up partway home from a.. 100+ mile (each way) trip today.

But this whole trip was down Route 1 from Maine till almost Boston, avoiding the interstate the whole way (once I was about to switch back over, but saw traffic was looking rather thick so went back to Route 1--eventually! Glad the mirror has that compass now! lol). So this was speeds mostly of 30-50 mph. But on the other hand, once I got into Mass, there were stretches of just up and down hills--not up, using gas, then down, coasting as long as you can to recover from the up-side, but up, then down and right back up so no way you can coast more than... half or less of the way back up. And that ate a lot of gas right there--one single hill dropped me from I think 56+ down to 54+, and I only recovered the FE lost when I got back to steady level driving.

Still, can't deny I'm pretty pleased to see numbers like that. Even if it won't survive my morning commute!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Default Re: 70 mile trip, 56.7 mpg

Correction. The 70 miles I mentioned was from when I reset one of my trip odometers (usually do that at the station, but between the drink I was trying to drink and my girlfriend texting me just as I was getting back into the car I forgot to do any of that), partly into the drive back down to Mass. By my calculations, I've gone ~103 miles since I filled back up, and I've gone 16.5 for this morning's commute, so that means from fill-up to home must be around.. 86-87 miles, rather than 70.

But forgot to check my current tank mileage after my commute, to see how much I lost this morning!

So what have other people managed for especially good FE on a nontrivial trip? I know I've seen some good numbers dropped here and there but it'd be a lot of digging to try to find any of them, hehe.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
HypoFueler

glad you are getting high FE from your TCH.

ok sounds like your TCH averaged about 56mpg at say an average speed of 40?

any AC used? is the segment downhill? any winds at your tail or head?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

One way trips don't really count. You need a round trip under the same conditions to eliminate factors such as elevation change and headwind. Calculations are also more accurate over tankfuls or multiple tankfuls.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 89mi 56.7

This was from months ago. Some of this was downhill, losing about 2500' in the 89 miles, but also some very steep uphill grades. Winds were non-existent. A/C was used on ECO 65, fan low during the trip. Hwy, so avg speed here was 65.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...ankAvg56.7.JPG

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...6/89miTrav.JPG

Strange that we both got exactly 56.7 mpg over that distance...seems like weird odds of that happening.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Sure one-way trips count! They may not be as meaningful but it's still 56+ mpg over an extended distance (which was by no means a one-way trip out of the mountains or something like that). I was just driving down the coast of Maine and NH. I've gotten high mpg on the way up that trip too but that was early in my ownership of the car and wasn't as high as this--mid-40s though at least. But it's not a trip I do very often, so I don't exactly have ready round-trip stats--and I'm certainly not going to do it repeatedly to use a tank for precise results! Hell I can't even get that for just commuting to/from work, since by the time I refill it's guaranteed I'll have to do errands, too. So for anybody not doing a single trip 100% of the time, you pretty much get the numbers you can where you can, far as I'm concerned, hehe.

I don't know the exact location of my refill but estimating from the distance home, I'll guess Wells till I can verify. Wells, ME has allegedly an elevation of 69 feet. My town allegedly has an elevation of 12 feet. I'm pretty sure change in elevation was not a significant factor in my FE for this driving segment.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Sigh, errands and the brisk 60s temps of the dog days of summer (wait what?? hehe) have dropped me down to a nominal 48.8 mpg after 300+ miles. Very sad. I'm not really expecting my week of commuting to improve it at all, but I can hope. Still had over 50 until Friday getting caught in Sox traffic. Still hoping for a great FE this tank though. Especially since fall starts soon, and cooler weather! If only great FE didn't go through so few tanks compared to bad FE! It's not warm long enough to compensate for the tanks I need to fill during the coldest part of winter!

But I'll keep hoping my improved driving patterns and stuff will still give me better FE this winter than last. I don't want to be at/below average FE for TCHs on the site! Lol.