$24.95 for an oil change, not bad, is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default $24.95 for an oil change, not bad, is it?

I've never been more paranoid about oil as I've been since I started visiting this site. I've used Firestone ($16) for 20 years on my cars and have always asked for "an oil change".
Now I find myself interviewing the mechanic, asking which grade of oil he's using, etc.
In any event, I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer (bringing it in for the squeaky brakes issue) for next Saturday and when I asked about an oil change, they said it costs $24.95 for 5W-20. I asked if they had 0W-20 and he said yes, same price for either grade.
Based upon the posts/threads that I've been reading, that sounds like a good deal, isn't it?

Firestone said it would be $100.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-26-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $24.95 for an oil change, not bad, is it?

Originally Posted by haroldo
I've never been more paranoid about oil as I've been since I started visiting this site. I've used Firestone ($16) for 20 years on my cars and have always asked for "an oil change".
Now I find myself interviewing the mechanic, asking which grade of oil he's using, etc.
In any event, I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer (bringing it in for the squeaky brakes issue) for next Saturday and when I asked about an oil change, they said it costs $24.95 for 5W-20. I asked if they had 0W-20 and he said yes, same price for either grade.
Based upon the posts/threads that I've been reading, that sounds like a good deal, isn't it?

That's pretty typical for a dealer oil change in my neck of the woods (Detroit).

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

That is what I pay in my own driveway for a synthetic oil change. It only takes about 15 minutes total do change the oil on the Camry. Just too easy to take it to a dealer for that.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM

My first oil change, the dealer said it was the same cost for 0w20 as for anything. I paid something similar to you. On the second oil change, I went in assuming the same price, and was surprised to see the dealer charging $85 (after the fact). I asked what was going on, and he said the synthetic is more expensive, and that they made a mistake the first time. He wouldn't back down on the price, even though I didn't notice until after the change. Technically my fault for signing without reading, but you can bet your *** I'm hunting for a new dealer.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's not bad. It's $34.95 for an oil change with dino oil here which is still pretty good considering labour and a bottle of oil is about $35 anyway.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenkobra
That is what I pay in my own driveway for a synthetic oil change. It only takes about 15 minutes total do change the oil on the Camry. Just too easy to take it to a dealer for that.
The downside to doing it yourself is that you need ramps and blocks or a jack and stands which makes it a big investment if the only work you feel comfortable doing is an oil change.

One brake job will pay for everything, but oil changes will take you a few years if you use dino blends.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

which dealer in jersey?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM

Autoland Route 22 Springfield

Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Did you stand there and watch what they actually put in your car ? I don't think the dealers allow you to stand anywhere near the work areas. I bring mine to Tire Kingdom and have it changed for $24.99 (regular 5w20) and I can stand there and watch them.

Quick Reply: $24.95 for an oil change, not bad, is it?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands