Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/2008-camry-hybrid-new-features-14897/)

rmorrow 08-31-2007 08:31 PM

Re: 2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features

Originally Posted by aka Bitter (Post 141326)
The Hybrid doesn't have this feature, but it is found on the SE and XLE. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the Hybrid like the XLE's sliding armrest?

To be clear, you mean the SE and XLE have a lid on that compartment?

Tideland Prius 08-31-2007 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by aka Bitter (Post 141326)
The Hybrid doesn't have this feature, but it is found on the SE and XLE. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the Hybrid like the XLE's sliding armrest?

Probably just remove the box and replace it with an SE box if I were to guess.

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 141331)
To be clear, you mean the SE and XLE have a lid on that compartment?

Correct. The SE has a (I believe push-activated) silver lid and the XLE has a push-activated (and I assume damped) wood-trimmed lid

JHSmith 09-01-2007 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rspaight (Post 140768)
My 2008 US (KY-built 08/07) TCH just arrived.

Temp spare.
Single seat heat setting (though I haven't tried it!).
No silver trim on the inside doors (except the chrome handle).
No lid on the box behind the shifter.
Not sure about the foam strip under the hood without an '07 to compare it to.

This is a loaded car (leather, NAV, roof) -- any questions about changes from the '07s, fire away.

I love it so far, BTW. I'm used to a tighter-handling car (last two vehicles -- Infiniti G35 coupe, Honda Civic Si), but while the TCH is definitely softer, it's not unbearably puffy. Getting 35 MPG doesn't hurt, either. And the Blue Ribbon Metallic is gorgeous.

Ryan

Originally Posted by Rodney12 (Post 140867)
OK... My frown has been turned upside down. After making this post I went to my dealer's website and as if by magical force there was suddenly a Blue Ribbon TCH Nav, sunroof, etc (C Pkg) with Bisque leather. Yada yada yada and now it is in my garage.

:shade: Time to update my signature...

First, congrats to y'all '08 owners.

Now for my question:

Can you access the NAV & Phone features (and others) while moving, or are those still blocked out? Or do you still need to stop or cut the speed sensor wire?

aka Bitter 09-01-2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius (Post 141342)
Probably just remove the box and replace it with an SE box if I were to guess.

I went today and looked at a SE, the door is push activated and retracts back into the box cavity, it appears to have the same outer dimensions. Have to take the center console apart to get to it, I'm assuming.

Anyone know a place to find a SE box assembly(or a Toyota part number)? Guess I'll be the guinea pig if I can find a box.

Tideland Prius 09-02-2007 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith (Post 141366)
First, congrats to y'all '08 owners.

Now for my question:

Can you access the NAV & Phone features (and others) while moving, or are those still blocked out? Or do you still need to stop or cut the speed sensor wire?

Depends.... Some 08s might be shipped with nav version 6.1, others with nav version 7.1... from what I've read, 7.1 doesn't have the "I Agree" screen. I don't know about the lockout features but it would be really nice to know.

Originally Posted by aka Bitter (Post 141375)
I went today and looked at a SE, the door is push activated and retracts back into the box cavity, it appears to have the same outer dimensions. Have to take the center console apart to get to it, I'm assuming.

Anyone know a place to find a SE box assembly(or a Toyota part number)? Guess I'll be the guinea pig if I can find a box.

That would be nice, eh? But I'm not sure how we'd go about removing the 12V outlet. (or is just a cover and we can snap the SE one in?). I'd rather have that cover. Hopefully, it's not too expensive.

ManchesterUnited 09-12-2007 06:26 AM

I've had my 08 for about 3 weeks now. It was the first one into my dealer and was even ordered, not stock.

The NAV is still 6.1 and many needed features are still locked out. The dealer said it was for my "own safety", but did not have an answer when I said what about my passenger accessing those features. I guess Toyota assumes their cars with NAV will be occupied by a single person at all times. The "I agree" is also still there.

I was aware of the limitation of the NAV before I purchased my TCH, but still don't understand why the turn by turn directions are so limited. I have a $300 TomTom and it gives voice directions even in the most rural areas of my county. Both use the TeleAtlas basic maps but Toyota does not use this information even though the smallest county ROADS that are not "streets" are shown by name (if known).

This is really a pain if your destination is over one mile from the last direction given. You might not be able to see both your current location and destination on the current screen. But when you zoom out so you and see where you need to go, the street detail is reduced, sometimes to the point that your destination is in the middle of nowhere as no roads or streets are shown. This is totally unacceptable and there is no excuse from Toyota to cover this lack of information.

Yes, my TomTom is in the car and I hate to say it, but it will be used a lot. I wanted the NAV for the other features it has. Still wish I could see the RPM of the ICE and Traction motor as well as current draw and charging information and voltages for both the 12v and HV battery. I'm a tech-guy and always curious.

I've been very disappointed with the XM. It fades out with the slightest tree branch overhead or even on a partly cloudy day. The XM in my Blazer is 100% solid except during extremely bad weather or when parked under an overpass or in a car wash.

Does anybody have a fix for the cig power outlets to keep them hot all the time. I hate it when they go off with the ignition. I have a radio charger that I drop in my hand held in for storage. I leave the radio on 24/7 and overnight it runs down the batteries. Yes, I could turn it off and on, but WHY? Just fix the outlets to stay on would be much easier. There is a fix for the Prius through 2007.

BTW, I do love my TCH and expect to trade it for an 09 next Fall unless something much better appears in the next year. I did not opt for the Toyota leather or sun/moon roof now that they are no longer part of the NAV package. Instead I had much softer and more comfortable aftermarket glove leather seats and 35-35-15 tint installed by a custom stop as part of my purchase price from the dealer.

Tideland Prius 09-12-2007 09:34 AM

Congrats on your purchase!

perhaps a scangauge would be ideal for you if you want to know the gritty details.

Hmm... odd that your 08 came with 6.1... 7.1 is the latest one. Toyota (Denso) uses Navteq, TT uses TeleAtlas.

rmorrow 09-12-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius (Post 142887)
Hmm... odd that your 08 came with 6.1... 7.1 is the latest one.

Do we know this for a fact, or are we still going by that one individual's post in a forum? Had anyone had confirmation by any dealer that 7.1 is now available? If it is, then I wouldn't mind getting it.

David Price 09-12-2007 11:35 AM

I called my dealer in Saint Albans and was told that 7.1 was not available as of yet.:cry:

ManchesterUnited 09-12-2007 01:31 PM

Interesting. I'm stopping by the dealer to have them relocate my XM antenna tomorrow (9/13) since the tint job they did has almost totally killed XM reception.

While there I'll inquire about NAV 7.1 but my book says its TeleAtlas, NavTeq (both are listed) and Denso while the Map Info says 6.05.12 and the DVD says 6.1. Looks like there may be more than one version running around. Of course like movies on DVD having region codes to prevent them from showing up on foreign soil before they even hit the theaters there, Toyota may be releasing 7.1 to specific models before rolling it out to everybody.

BTW, my sticker says the port/plant is Benicia, CA which is a sea port outside of Oakland. I thought all TCH were being made in KY now.