2007 TCH New Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 TCH New Tire Suggestions

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into getting new tires. Currently my TCH has some Michelins on them that the previous owner had put onto them. They need to get replaced soon and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which tires they have enjoyed. I have a local tire shop that I trust with all my repairs and has yet to steer me wrong and is extremely honest with me. They are a cooper tire dealer and have sold my family Cooper CS4 tires for our 2003 Camry which have been great tires and have a price well below the brand name companies offerings. I'm new to purchasing tires as this is my first vehicle and unfortunately don't know very much about cars. Any thoughts or suggestions would really help me out!

Thanks guys,

Alessandro

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 TCH New Tire Suggestions

It's a topic the pops up from time to time. Here is one thread https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-hybrid-22347/ but there are others.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm running a set of the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires and couldn't be more pleased with them. I can not speak about snow performance (although we are getting a lot more than usual in Georgia) but the dry and wet performance is OK and the mileage is great. The tires do not seem to be wearing very much compared to the OEM Bridgestones but are more expensive than other comparable tires.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Michelin Energy Green-X S8. They've already outlasted the OEM Bridgestones.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Just about any tire will outlast those Bridgestones. I got General Altimax HP, after OEM Michelins started to look little bold at 78k. Now I have much better traction on dry, wet and snow, which I had plenty of opportunity to test since we're getting about 20-30 inches of snow once a week now, or so it seems. They're also less noisy, less expensive and IMO better looking. However it seems I'm getting worse MPG. Problem is I can't really tell how much worse since:
a)winter is always lower mpg, especially in bad weather and this is worst snow on record for February here.
b) Just about the time I bought new tires, I started driving very short trips very often and that's a killer for mpg since engine never even gets warm before I'm done, so even waiting on lights engine runs all the time and no "hybrid advantage" at all .
I used to get 40-42 summer and 37-39 winter, but now I've trouble getting 33-35. I would speculate I lost about 2 mpg due to tires and the rest is due to weather and change in driving pattern. If it wasn't for lower mpg, I would highly recommend those tires, but as it is I need to test them a little more and see what mpg do I get in normal, warmer weather.

Originally Posted by McGyver
Michelin Energy Green-X S8. They've already outlasted the OEM Bridgestones.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Pragmatist

Consumer Reports lists the Michelin Primacy MXV4 as the top-rated in the "Performance All-Season" H-rated tire ratings. It has a red-ball (means "very good") for rolling resistance, and half-red ("good") for most other attributes.

I presently have Michelin Energy MXV4 tires. I would buy Michelin again. H-rated tires are only rated for 130 MPH, but that is about 50 MPH faster than I have driven during the last 10 years, or intend to drive in the future, so that's enough.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 AM

I still haven't seen an answer to the following question...
How much more, if at all, will a high MPG tire (low rolling resistance) cost over a comparable standard tire? Do they last as long as standard tires?
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 AM

I put on a set of the new Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires last September. I started seeing a increase of about 3.5 highway mpg over the Energy S8 oem tires I had.

Try the tirerack.com/ web site for this tire then read the reviews compared to the other tires.

I have 44 psi nitrogen in my tires and they seem to ride good. I measure the tread depth each month to make sure the centers don't wear.

In some michelin ads, they mention this is a long lasting tire.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
I put on a set of the new Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires last September. I started seeing a increase of about 3.5 highway mpg over the Energy S8 oem tires I had.

Try the tirerack.com/ web site for this tire then read the reviews compared to the other tires.

I have 44 psi nitrogen in my tires and they seem to ride good. I measure the tread depth each month to make sure the centers don't wear.

Put helium in them, really makes them lite on their feet. better milage also

Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 AM

Tonight 3/6/10, at the store, I noticed a Consumer Reports New Cars, SUV and Truck issue on the magazine rack. This was not the usual monthly issue but a special 'new car' issue. Inside it had a section rating the various all-season, summer and etc tires. It included the LRR of each tire tested.

This site has been updated and may offer some information.

http://www.consumersearch.com/tires/important-features

Last edited by rburt07; 03-08-2010 at 01:38 AM.