FEH wows

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH wows

So this isn't a I'm in trouble post per say but recently invested in another Escape hybrid, seem to be addicted to these. So this time I got myself a 08 FEH and it seemed to be running just fine no codes no wrench lights no fuss. The only slight I am having with the car is after 20-30min highway trip it almost always delays going into ev mode and I live 3-4 min away from freeway exit so on an uphill. That being said when I enter my garage and come to a stop I notice the engine doesn't turn off and EV mode doesn't engage (my 09 FEH and 05 FEH did). Now been looking online at possible coulprits the MEC pump which is working fine because car hasn't overheated, thermostat issues (do have A/C and heat working just fine, and blend door in the rear is working fine.

Also worth noting that I replaced one of the HV cooling fans because I was getting a P0A81-20 and a C1862-20 which are gone now but where replaced with a P0A81-60 (might need to change the other fan as well ).

Anyways today I was pondering the issue and went to the car looked at the HV air filter port and took the filter and decided to swap it upaide down. And might be to early to tell but the car seems to be popping into HV mode now, am I crazy or could a misplaced filter cause hybrid issues?

Last edited by Ricmigl; 06-03-2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH wows

The only thing the filter does is filter outdoor air when it's cool enough to not have to use the rear A/C for the battery.

Elevated temperatures and deteriorated battery (it's 16 years old now). Additionally, if the car is operated with the battery cooling system compromised for even short periods can cause permanent damage, particularly on older batteries.

Suggest you get Forscan and start looking at battery specifics if you aren't already.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah i sort of knew flipping the filter wasn't the on off switch I wanted it to be , I will focus my attention on the specific battery components.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:12 PM

If you have Forscan, you can tell what the SoC, current, temperatures, evap temperature and charge/discharge limits are doing, as well as DEL_MOD_V - which is the #1 indicator of a failing battery.

Old 06-07-2024, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

So I had Forscan on today on my commute to work avg temp outside is a cloudy 68° so not hot at all but did notice that the battery was at 108° so did some digging on the site and noticed that any temp above 95 and the car will safeguard the battery by not allowing normal EV operations. Sounds like it's definitely a fan issue if I am not mistaken.

Old 06-07-2024, 02:46 PM

I don't see DEL_MOD_V.

IMHO, you're not displaying enough data. I include everything except all the fault code values.

You're probably on the right track with a dead fan as 108°F Max is definitely high. It's just important to see what the other values are for context.

Old 06-08-2024, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

So here is a cold start Del_Mod data it fluctuates from .06v to .12v when driving and that is Street driving.

I also checked my 09 FEH for reference numbers and I do notice that it seems to drive cooler although it's running perfectly now that I changed the **** Rear motor actuator ( no wrench light anymore )

Anyways I will try to troubleshoot further

Old 06-08-2024, 01:54 PM

DEL_MOD_V is typically under 0.19. Lower is better.

Max/min temp of that range strongly indicates one failed fan.

EVAP_TEMP tells you if the rear evaporator is working. Should be around 50°F.

Old 06-08-2024, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your guidance in this matter I have a working battery fan coming in on Tuesday and a motor actuator coming in today. Doubt it's the motor actuator but if I am going to be working in the area might as well.

Old 06-08-2024, 02:45 PM

Are you talking about the blend door actuator? The door is visible under the air filter. If that is closed, your blend door actuator is probably fine.

>10°F of temp variation casts doubt on the fans especially if your evap temp is cold, and the max temp is > 95°F.

Today I jump started an '09 that was sitting at 180V (government car sold at auction). One temp was lagging a little more than I like, but the whole battery was soaked at 95-97°F with ambient temps > 100 here in Phoenix when I started. After about 20 minutes minutes of idling with the A/C forced on, it settled to 78-86°F with the evap at 52°F and holding the SoC steady around 53%. DEL_MOD_V was .12. Car only has about 80K miles on it, so I was pretty hopeful at the outset.

Last edited by S Keith; 06-08-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: FEH wows

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands