HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry A/C not working

Hope I'm not missing a prior post on this...the Search function on EVF is not as good as I remember GreenHybrid's.

Our 2008 HCHII has lost air conditioning lately, although fan does work, not good in the heat of summer. I'm not a wonderful mechanic, but I thought I'd check the fuse and then look to see if I could see coolant in the window on the compressor.

Great ideas....but the fuse chart in the owner's manual doesn't list an AC fuse, nor, of course, which box to look in. And I have not been able to locate the AC compressor, unless it's that thing on the passenger side under the hood, and I don't see a coolant window there.

I realize I may have to take the car to my mechanic, but I'd like to at least be able to check the fuse. We had some really hot weather recently, and I could imagine the fuse might have blown during that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-24-2023, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C not working

I think I found a fix!

Old 08-24-2023, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nope.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why the nope? I replaced the clutch relay fuse and that seems to have worked, but i haven’t really had a warm drive yet.

Originally Posted by S Keith
Nope.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:25 PM

Different positions and/or amperages for fuses and relays

Old 06-06-2024, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Funny thing....one of our first warm days here in Oregon today, A/C didn't seem to be working. I searched for help here and forgot that I'd asked this last year.
Well....when I turn on the A/C I hear the compressor clunk, and the tube the youtube video shows as cold indeed cools off. I think that may be end of story...maybe we just need to not leave the car parked out in the sun.

Sad story is we seem to have terminal transmission disease: fluid change and flush seemed to decrease it a bit, but only temporarily. I really don't like the idea of getting a new (used) car, but the cost of a transmission is ore than KBB says this is worth.

Last edited by chkuttner; 06-10-2024 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's me again, showing up like a bad penny....

So the A/C works, sort of. As in the air from the vents feels cooler than if the A/C is off, but just not cold enough. I can hear the compressor turning on, and the low pressure coolant line feels cool to the touch.

I think I read somewhere that there are two A/C compressors, one for when just a little cooling is needed, a bigger one for when more is needed. I checked out the fuses and they seem OK, I swapped the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay for the same color one to its right, I think it's PGM-FI relay, whatever that might be. Let's see if the car is driveable when I next start it, and if the A/C works better.

Old 07-01-2024, 10:31 PM

There is only one compressor. It has both mechanical and electrical components. When max cooling is needed, both run. When it's just maintaining a temp, the unit can run on electric only.

Have you added PURE R-134a?

Old 07-02-2024, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you! I have not added any.

I know in the old days, one would just add refrigerant. Do I need some kind of pressure gauge or just plug in a can?

I’m a pretty ignorant mechanic…

Old 07-02-2024, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Answering my own question, there are gauges and refrigerant on Amazon, and a great video on this kit, but the can contains oil, too.

https://a.co/d/08Kk0KgV

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: A/C not working

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands